Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendobject problem after installing Office 2000 SP3 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrowne

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2001
US
I've been using the 'sendobject' method to send mail using vba and Outlook 2000. I recently installed service pack 3 for Office 2000 and found that Outlook security updates prevent sending messages programmatically.

When you run a program that uses the Outlook object model to call the Send method, you receive a warning message. This warning message tells you that a program is trying to send mail on your behalf and asks if you want to allow the message to be sent. The warning message contains both a Yes and a No button, however, the Yes button is not available until five seconds have passed since the warning message appeared. All this makes sending more than a handfull of emails unmanageable.

MS Knowledgebase Article, 272701, confirms there is no way to work around this problem when using an Internet Mail Only configuration with Outlook.

Does anyone know if this difficulty can be overcome using MS Exchange Server? The Knowledge Base Article states that some of the security limitations are configurable on Exchange Server; however, I don't have enough knowlege of Exchange Server to determine if this is a viable way to go.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I have run into this also. I talked with our LAN group and their answer "NO". Permissions have to be changed and they don't want to do it (can't really argue). I dropped it after that. If anyone has any ideas please post as I'm interested also.

I've done a lot of searching for a fix for the Outlook Security Update, and found 2:

1) This solution is an executeable that must be present on the machine sending the emails out. This might mean on all client workstations, if necessary - but it is a free download:

I run a shell command to start an instance of the software, then run my code to send mail. Works great, pretty much invisible to the user.

2) Probably the "proper" way to do this - check out:

It is written by a Microsoft MVP, and is very techincal in nature. I did finally figure it out, but it takes some wrangling. If you are not technically proficient (i.e. never programmed) this probably won't work for you. It uses extended MAPI to send out the mail in a "safe" library format.

This Micrsoft update was a major thorn in my side for a long time, hope this helps some people!
k

TBrowne,
Our Agency ran into the same issue a while back, we came up with some code that kind of fools outlook but is not reliable. What we ended up doing was designating a specific PC and user ID to run the process. We did not install the security patch on that machine, we also set it up to only send Email not recieve. We forwarded incoming mail to another PC with the Patch.

Hope this helps... Our process is working pretty well this way.

Phil

Ran into the same issue and used Blat (command line SMTP emailer) Little kludgey but it even allows attachments. Do a Google search on Blat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back