Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail with NAT and no-ip.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkitchNY

ISP
Apr 24, 2003
US
I have set up a system on a dynamic IP system with a BSD based server. Port 25 is not blocked.

I have obtained a name (not important here) that we will call xxx.bounceme.net from no-ip.com, and all mail and requests are forwarded to my dynamic IP address. I have opened the correct ports on my store-bought router.

Now if I send mail from ANYWHERE in cyber spave to knownuser@xxx.bouncemet.net, it gets through to my server just fine. I can check it from anywhere in cyber space with a client (as pop3 is running).

My problem is that I want to be able to allow all of my machines inside this "router" to use sendmail on this BSD machine as their SMTP server. When I try this, by sending an email from knownuser@xxx.bounceme.net to any "known and good" email address outside of xxx.bounceme.net I get a "relaying not allowed" message directly from the sendmail SMTP server on the BSD machine.

I have tried putting 192.168 (local IP addresses) into the in /etc/mail/relay-domains as well as /etc/access (192.168 RELAY). However, the server still responds with no relaying alowed.

Since I have Port 25 open to the world, I surely don't want ALL domains and IP's to be relayed, just those whose IP's start with 192.168.

I have run into "issues" before with sendmail, particularly with the virtusertable file where unless I changed the sendmail.cf file line from a hash to a btree and created the btree file virtusertable.db it would never work. I tried this wist access, but still get this "no relaying" problem.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do and/or what I am doing wrong?

If you have tried to put &quot;192.168 <tab>RELAY&quot; in your access and then made sure to compile the .db file with the format stipulated in the sendmail.cf then I am really not sure why it wouldn't work but you could try this to isolate the problem:
Telnet to port 25 on that box and manually chat with the server as follows:

helo test.com
MAIL FROM: knownuser@xxx.bounceme.net
RCPT TO: whoever@sendingto.com

if you get to that point then it's working.
On a side note if your home server is not the main server for your domain you still need to make sure that sendmail knows that and the best way is to add your domain to the access file with relay like so
xxx.bounceme.net <tab> RELAY

Hope it helps some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back