Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail version 1.0.1 - Commercial version

Status
Not open for further replies.

slindesigns

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
Okay, here's what I have:

Redhat 6.2, Sendmail Advanced Message Server 1.0.1, Sendmail Server 8.11.1.

My problem: I'm getting used as a relay. How do I stop this? I'm checking the mail queue through Webmin and I have nearly 40,000 e-mails.

Thanks!

Implement a file called "relay-domains" in your sendmail.cf directory and mention the domains / hosts which are allowed to relay thru ur mail server. The relay-domains file being empty indicates that nobody can relay thru ur mail server.

Before doing this, make sure that u have got relay-domains feature compiled in your sendmail.cf file. If not, add the feature to sendmail.mc file and compile it again to get sendmail.cf with relay-domains support.

Other way is you can subscribe to blackhole-list and add the feature to your sendmail.cf file. But this feature shall increase ur performance overheads.

Apart from this, there are lot many anti-spamming features in sendmail.. Just read the documentation.

Hope this helps..

Regds,

- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

Thanks Butterfly123 for this post. How about also editing the \etc\mail\access with:
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain RELAY
localhost RELAY
127.0.0.1 RELAY
192.168.1 RELAY
digiweb2.dk REJECT

This works ok on a home setup, but if you have offices that need your server for outgoing, add their ip's also. If you're on linux, try running webmin. There's a sendmail module that makes configuring easy.
Hope you nail the ^&**.
Kill the spam!
Keith

Yeah.. /etc/mail/access can server another level of antispamming mechanism on sendmail server. Its good idea to have it, Keith!

Regds,

- Hemant

Ouch! a spelling mistake in my earlier post!!
PLs read as "serve" instead of "server" !

Sorry 4 the inconv,

Regds,

- Hemant

Thanks for all your help. Here's what I did, maybe it will prove useful down the line.

1) Cleaned up all the spam in /var/spool/mqueue
2) Installed Webmin v 1.000 on my RedHat 6.2 machine to make things easier.
3) Uninstalled Sendmail 8.11.1 and reinstalled it using the RPM packager.
4) Uninstalled Sendmail Advanced Server 1.0.1 and reinstalled it following the installation guide. (Make sure you have the CD key!)
5) Edited Sendmail configuration files through Webmin to allow relaying to my localhost, internal IP, and localdomain. Very simple!

The following procedure took a couple of hours. However, the majority of the time was spent researching on the Net.

Good!
Webmin is pretty good tool to use.. and intuitive too!
I 2 use it for administering my AIX boxes..

Regds,

- Hemant

You should have an administrative https port on your mail server that should allow you to setup sendmail the way you want to (and then some.)

default is:
(Read the admin guide-I don't want to announce the port number for everyone - not that I believe in "obscurity=security")

You should get a menu and just login. You can manage multiple m4's in case one doesn't work out.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back