Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail relay and Groupwise mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubbell

Programmer
Feb 22, 2001
CA
I have a hp-ux B.10.20 machine which has no internet access, and a GroupWise mail server.

Now I hope to send email to an internet email account on my hp machine, so I try setting my GroupWise mail server as the relay for my hp using the DS macro in sendmail.cf and adding the GroupWise mail server into my hosts file in hp. This works fine as long as the receipant is a user of GroupWise mail server. But when I tried sending to a email account outside my company, it shows "service unavailable". Here's the sample.

1. Send mail to a user in GroupWise.

#date|/usr/sbin/sendmail -v iamuser@mycorp.com

iamuser@mycorp.com... Connecting to [172.16.148.4] via relay...
220 mycorp.com MAILsweeper ESMTP Receiver Version 4.1.5.0 Ready
>>> EHLO picon03x.mycorp.com #HP machine name
250-mycorp.com
250-SIZE 0
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-DSN
250-VRFY
250-AUTH
250 8BITMIME
>>> MAIL From:<root@picon03x.mycorp.com> SIZE=29
250 2.0.0 root@picon03x.mycorp.com OK
>>> RCPT To:<iamuser@mycorp.com>
250 2.0.0 iamuser@mycorp.com OK
>>> DATA
354 Ready for data
>>> .
250 2.0.0 Message received OK
iamuser@mycorp.com... Sent (2.0.0 Message received OK)
Closing connection to [172.16.148.4]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 mycorp.com closing

This action is successful. Try again sending to my hotmail.com account, it failed.

#date|/usr/sbin/sendmail -v iamuser@hotmail.com

iamuser@hotmail.com... Connecting to [172.16.148.4] via relay...
220 mycorp.com MAILsweeper ESMTP Receiver Version 4.1.5.0 Ready
>>> EHLO picon03x.mycorp.com
250-mycorp.com
250-SIZE 0
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-DSN
250-VRFY
250-AUTH
250 8BITMIME
>>> MAIL From:<root@picon03x.mycorp.com> SIZE=29
250 2.0.0 root@picon03x.mycorp.com OK
>>> RCPT To:<iamuser@hotmail.com>
501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail from <root@picon03x.mycorp.com> to <iamuser@hotmail.com> for 172.16.65.42
iamuser@hotmail.com... Service unavailable
>>> RSET
250 2.0.0 OK
/dead.letter... Saved message in /dead.letter
/dead.le@... Closing connection to [172.16.148.4]
>>> QUIT
221 2.0.0 mycorp.com closing

I suppose after setting the GroupWise as relay for my hp, all emails from hp and sending to receipants outside localhost will be relayed to my GroupWise mail server and let it handle the rest. But I don't know why the GroupWise server only recognizes the local domain. Actually I can send email to any valid email account from my PC via this mail server.

I am also pretty confused about the error message. It says &quot;501 5.7.1 This system is not configured to relay mail from <root@picon03x.mycorp.com> to <iamuser@hotmail.com> for 172.16.65.42
iamuser@hotmail.com... Service unavailable&quot;. Which system is not configured, hp or GroupWise?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Colin Cheng
Programmer/Analyst

Your Novell server has to be (re)configured to allow relaying for the HP-server. Just add the IP-adress if the hostname doesn't work.

We recently changed thelocation of our GW relay servers. All email from my internal mail server (linux SLES8) is sent through the GW relay servers.

All messages get service unavailable error message, however from wrong server (ie. old ip). Our GW mail relay servers were moved, but the sendmail seems to still try and send to old ips for GW mail relay servers. I reset the ips in my server's /etc/hosts file, but relays still don't seem to go to the new ips.

Sendmail is still using a different ip for the relay than that specified in the hosts file.

Charlie
We need to find how to get the sendmail daemon to relay to the new server -
ie. it's not using the entry in the hosts file to resolv to the correct relay server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back