Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail - problem creating SMTP socket 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellsing

MIS
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I think I have a conflict on port 25. I have sendmail running which I know listens on port 25 but whenever I try to email to an external email addres I get the following in /usr/adm/syslog

Dec 19 16:37:05 rocc2 sendmail[9888]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:
aemon Daemon0: cannot bind: Address already in use
Dec 19 16:37:05 rocc2 sendmail[9888]: daemon Daemon0: problem creating SMTP socket

I think possibly there might be something else using the same port. Does anyone else agree. Also if this might be the case how do I check to see if anything else is using this port.

I have the following in the config file:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.domain.co.uk

Should I use the IP address instead?

I have my relay host setup with an ip address of my mailserver and it works fine. It's worth a shot.

You shouldn't be using "sendmail" to send the mail. You should be using "mail". "sendmail" is a daemon that runs in the background and processes the mail, it's not supposed to be a front-end.

If you have mail.domain.co.uk in your /etc/hosts file you shouldn't need to use the IP address in sendmail.cf, but it doesn't hurt to try I guess.

OK I have got it working.

"joens" post on setting up sendmail to not use DNS worked a treat. As I posted I still couldn't get emails out but that was down to the mail server they were going to.

Once I configured this sendmail is happily sending emails to all and sundry now.

Thanks very much for all the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back