Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sendmail/POP Configuration Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypots

Programmer
Jan 7, 2001
US
Hello,

I moved my server from my co-located location and upgraded to RH 7.2. I'm trying to configure sendmail so I can receive my emails but I am having problems. The email accounts hang when they try to authorize..and finally I receive this response from Outlook:

'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.'

Any ideas?

Sendmail is not a pop server. It receives the mail and hands it over to the local mailer (procmail on linux). In any case, all of a users mail is stored in a directory in a file with the users name. For example on linux it's /var/spool/mail/username. A pop3 server will listen on port 110 and will fulfill a request by retrieving the file and serving it to the mail client where it gets devided up into separate e-mails. If these files exist on the server then sendmail has done it's job and you just have to set up a popmail server to do the rest.

Hi
so u r using ms outlook/express

sendmail is just a MTA ,it just accept the mails for the
specified domains and routes the mails to the destination
domains

In order to get u r mails through a pop3 client like OE

u have to enable the pop3 service(proto)

u r using RHL 7.2

so edit /etc/xinetd.d/pop3s

there u will find entries like this

service pop3s
{
disable=yes
-----
------
}

just u have to enable the service

change disable=yes to disable=no

save the file

and restart xinetd

just run service xinetd restart

thats it
it should work
Techbee
Prakash

Hi,

To install the redhat pop3 server, somewhat confusingly you actually have to install the 'imap' rpm which has both imap and pop3 daemons --> ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/7.2/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/imap-2000c-15.i386.rpm .

Just download somewhere, change directory to the download location and install as root with :

rpm -Uvh imap-*.rpm

Then do :

/sbin/chkconfig ipop3 on (regular pop3)

or

/sbin/chkconfig pop3s on (pop3 over ssl)

Hope this helps

Does anyone know where I can find professional help for configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back