Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail authentification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2012
I am useing sendmail as mail server and I have a problem with the smtp authentification. User wich are useing emails are traveling a lot and I can not look for them to give them relay everytime. How can I do fix this?
Manny thanks in advance.

Welcome to tek-tips.

Sendmail supports SMTP authentication. It is linked to the CYRUS SASL authentication libraries and uses saslauthd to provide plain text authentication (this is common, even in more modern mail systems, like Dovecot and Courier) and hence is best used in combination with an encryption protocol like TLS.

Here are a couple of how to guides:
and

Google has plenty more.

Have you tried implementing the authentication? What amount of success or progress have you achieved?

I didn't know how do do it. I am useing sendmail and dovecot. Now, I found popbsmtp and I am triyng to implement it. What do you recomand?

popbsmtp: pop before SMTP is a more primitive form of authentication that relies on having a user log into the POP account (Dovecot) before they will be accepted for sending messages. SASL is, in my opinion, more reliable. Since your using Dovecot, which provides SASL, my recommendation would be to skip Sendmail and use Postfix, which I think is much easier to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back