Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail attachments 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmccreary

MIS
Feb 9, 2000
US
Will sendmail allow attachments to be sent? If so, can you give me the command line option for attachments?<br>

<br>

Thanks,<br>

Jeff

Sendmail isn't responsible for attaching attachments to e-mail - it's up to the mail user agent (mail client) to attach items to e-mail messages. Sendmail is just the transport.<br>
<br>
If you're using sendmail as a mail client, you should really consider taking a look at mail, mailx, or, even better, pine.<br>
<br>
Out of interest, to send an attachment to an e-mail from the command line, you could uuencode it as follows:<br>
<br>
echo &quot;This is my attachment:\n\n`uuencode myattachment myattachment`&quot; ¦ mailx -s&quot;Test sending uuencoded attachment&quot; <A HREF="mailto:someone@somewhere.com">someone@somewhere.com</A>

To add to the jmccreary's questions: I create filename.txt files on an AIX box and want to email these files not as text but attachments to an nt exchange user. I have aliases for the users to route the mail or mailx messages but do not understand how to attach the file, I only get the content of the files. Sorry to add to the question, not to the solution.

I have the same requirement! I want to send a file as an attachment(not as extenstion of body of letter).

No solution since year 2000?!!!!!

Why not try Pine? It's a nice little mail client, runs from the console or in a terminal window, and attachments are as easy as CTRL-J... Are you just interested in a way to attach files from the command line?

On our AIX box, inside our software, I setup pseudo printers for each user (see below) and aliases with the unix id=exchange email address.

Example for user 80. This is a .SH on our system for user 080, I called it 080email.sh, it is called as a printer and emails any report output to the user as an attachment called TRENDRPT.WRI with a RE of Trend Auto Report. I picked WRI as it was not commonly used by other programs in our environment.

uuencode $2 TRENDRPT.WRI | mail -s &quot;Trend Auto Report&quot; 080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back