Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sendmail and spam assassin or another spam-killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael1973

Programmer
Oct 6, 2003
DE
Hi,

I would like to know, if somebody has a good Tutorial, Guide or Link for installing a spam-killer like spam assassin on a sendmail system. I tried it on my own, but then I gave up, because spam assassin didn't do anything. What do I have to do (step by step if possible)?

I have the same problem. I download email with fetchmail. I have Cyrus IMAP server and everything works. I installed SpamAssassin. According to the info I found somewhere on the net, all I had to do besides setting up SpamAssassin was to create/edit 2 files: .procmailrc and .forward.
My problem is that sendmail doesn't seem to invoke procmail at all, and that's why SpamAssassin doesn't work.
Emails come as they did before, there's no "X-Spam-Flag:" in them.
I'm using RedHat 7.2, there are PROCMAIL entries in sendmail.cf already.
This is my .forward:
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #greg
This is my .procmailrc:
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| /home/greg/.sausr/bin/spamassassin
Please help.

Right.

My problem is that all guides I've found used the procmail.rc and the spam assassin daemon. I don't know
how come, but I don't have a "procmail.rc". I didn't install sendmail on the system, but I found the following lines in the sendmail.cf:

##################################################
### Local and Program Mailer specification ###
##################################################

##### $Id: local.m4,v 8.58 2000/10/26 01:58:29 ca Exp $ #####

Mlocal, P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn09, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
A=procmail -a $h -d $u
Mprog, P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqu09, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL, D=$z:/,
T=X-Unix/X-Unix/X-Unix,
A=sh -c $u

so it looks like procmail is installed, isn't it? But there is no procmail.rc file for sure. But I haven't found any other mail delivery agent. ???

What can I do to install one of these spam killers?

The MAILER definition in your sendmail.mc MUST always be last in your configuration. Any modification of a mailer definition must preceed that particular mailer definition.
e.g.
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')
FEATURE(local_procmail)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)
By default procmail will look for a .procmailrc file in the user home directory.
I believe the procmail.rc directory is used for setting global .procmailrc recipes.

There is no God, only 10001010

To run global procmail recipies, create a procmailrc file in your /etc folder & put this...

LOGFILE=/var/log/pm.log
LOG="
"

VERBOSE=yes
SHELL=/bin/sh

# Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging
## LOGABSTRACT=yes

MAILDIR=$HOME/mail

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamassassin

...other recipies

Keith

umm ... we use MailScanner ... which works on queued mail and sendmail. it can scan email for virii, stop specific attachments, gut HTML emails and generally cause slightly less wingeing from my users ... :)

alright, thank you all for your replies. at the moment i have to to do some other jobs so i can't try out your suggestions. but if i'll do it, i'll post the result in here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back