Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending xml data via SOAP(http) from asp.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneness

Programmer
Jul 7, 2002
ZA
I have just started learning about XML, SOAP and web services. I need to send data from an ASP.NET application to a third party. I am a bit confused by the amount of information that's available and I would greatly appreciate it if someone could possibly provide a high level suggestion of how I would go about implementing this. I understand building an XML document that would contain the information which I need to transfer. Do I simply integrate the XML into a SOAP envelope ? Do I need to create a web service ?
Does a SOAP transfer have to reference a remote procedure/method ?
Any suggestions of recommended reading or references welcome.
Please help ?

SOAP was originally created to do RPC (Remote Procedure Call) and the syntax is in just about every SOAP reference you can find. SOAP will work without WSDL and all the other web services hoopla.

You're basically right, you just need to place the XML data into the SOAP envelope and send it. Both the client and server need to handle SOAP, it's another protocol. The details are... complicated and vary a little based on what sort of remote call you're trying to do.

You'd probably get a lot more help in the SOAP forum (also on Tek-Tips.

Uura

~~~~
"Common sense tells you that the world is flat."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back