Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending PCL codes to HPLJ1200 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2001
US
Hi! I am trying to send PCL codes to a HPLJ1200 printer that is using an HPLJ4 driver to change to orientation b/t landscape and portrait (the user prints from a dos-based app and needs to switch to landscape to print certain files, then switch the printer back to portrait again.)

I have 2 batch files, landscape.bat and portrait.bat. Each calls their respective *.pcl file using the following command: copy *.pcl lpt1

The pcl files contain the pcl codes for landscape and portrait taken from the HP support site. I have the following code for landscape: EC&I1O portrait: EC&I0O

When I run the landscape batch file to send the code to the printer, the printer spits out a page (printed portrait) that just has "1O" on it. This is driving me insane! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

causemaker

You have mis-read the code.

Portrait <esc>&l0O Esc-ampersand-ell-zero-Capital O
Landscape <esc>&l1O Esc-ampersand-ell-one-Capital O

Jim Asman Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

Jim,

thanks for the assist on the code - I changed it in the pcl file, and now nothing prints when the batch file is run (which is good!)

However, when I try to print something after running the landscape.bat file, the document still prints portrait (printing from DOS). Any ideas what might be missing? The printer is using the HPLJ4 driver v4.01 on a WinNT4.0 box.

Thanks again!

I can only assume that the printer is being reset along the way. Your landscape or portrait codes need to be embedded in the PCL file that is being printed. Really, I doubt that you want any windows driver to be involved at all.

This is probably a situation where the windows driver is NOT you friend. Perhaps there is some kind of passthrough mode where where the driver will simply pass your file onto the spooler with adding or changing anything.

I'm quite ignorant of such things, so I will defer to anyone who is conversant on the topic.

Jim Asman Jim Asman
jlasman@telus.net

I'm assuming this is a local printer and
I don't know if this will work but...
Try using the Generic/Text Only printer driver. This should pass everything strait thru to the printer.

When you use the Laserjet driver it probably sends a reset to the printer first thing to get it in a &quot;known&quot; state before sending the print job.

Jom - thanks a million! The generic/text only driver works like a charm!

Hi Causemaker,
Try this command (PJL)

Ec%-12345X@PJL DEFAULT ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE
Ec%-12345X

change the wording to switch between portrait and landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back