Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending on behalf of ----

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbead

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2002
US
Hi, I hope someone has some ideas.
users os: XP PROFESSIONAL OUTLOOK 2K SP3
SERVER OS: WIN2K SP3
EXCHANGE: WIN2K SP3

I have a user who needs to send email messages out on behalf of her boss, but her boss does not want her name in the from field, just his so no one knows that he did not type it. In a minute I will share the setup I created, but my resuls are that in the messages it looks like it is cominbg from her boss and when replied it goes to her boss, but when you open it up it has her name in the from field on behalf of her boss.

setup: server: created a group and added her name and his.
added the group to his profile under mailbox rights giving her full access. When she tries to send it comes back that she does not have premission. On the bosses outlook she is a delegate will ownership level premission. I tried setting myself up by adding my name directly into the mail box rights. I tried it with her and it did not work she does not have premission. I must put under the general mailo options her name in behalf of or she can't send.

Any ideas, anyone. Also tried putting her name in security, but same results. thanks jbead

JBead

You should investigate the 'Send As' permission. The results you are getting with 'Send on behalf of' are correct.

I have without success

JBead

Did you maneg to solve this. I have the same issue with a support mailbox, it stamps it with there pers email, and i dont need that ?

I tried removing and full perm and get same as you.

any ideas ?

jbead,

You mention using Mailbox Rights on the Exchange Advanced tab on the user object. "Send As" is configured differently.

Here's the kb article on setting up "Send As":

Make certain that you can see the Security tab on Exchange objects by selecting the Advanced Features option under the View menu on Active Directory Users and Computers.

As you probably already realize, you need to change the Outlook client to allow the sender to change the "From:" field.

If you're still having trouble, let us know. I apologize for being brief earlier. Once you learn how to set it up, it's very easy to do.

JBud

thank you. I will give it a read. I apprecate your help. Robin

JBead

Thanks for the kb article but that is exactly what I have done, however, after adding the name it works, then the next day the messages appear with on behalf of again. Thanks

JBead

I have had the same problem and found this

Grant "Send as" permissions
If you grant a user "Send as" permissions for another user's mailbox, the DelegateUser can send mail as the MailboxOwner. The From box in these messages appears as follows:

To grant a user "Send as" permissions for another user's mailbox: 1. On an Exchange computer, click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. On the View menu, click to select Advanced Features.
3. Expand Users, right-click the MailboxOwner object where you want to grant the permission, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Security tab, and then click Advanced.
5. In the Access Control Settings for MailboxOwner dialog box, click Add.
6. In the Select User, Computer, or Group dialog box, click the user account or the group that you want to grant "Send as" permissions to, and then click OK.
7. In the Permission Entry for MailboxOwner dialog box, click User objects in the Apply onto list.
8. In the Permissions list, locate Send As, and then click to select the Allow check box.
9. Click OK three times to close the dialog boxes.
For example, if you grant UserB "Send as" permissions for UserA's mailbox, UserB can send messages that appear to be sent from UserA. The From box in these messages appears as follows:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back