Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending mail with internet shortcut 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

diodepat

Technical User
Apr 23, 2000
US
While using Internet Explorer 5.0, and trying to click on  email address, I receive this message :Cannot send mail.  No mail program is set up to send mail using internet shortcuts"  I never had this problem until lately and cannot figure what it means, or what I did to change things.  Also, my toolbars at the top are messed up...all out of order and the top one is twice as fat as the others.

Sounds like the file associations have gone haywire...open My Computer and click View/Options...click on View...put a dot in show all files and make sure there's not one in hide file extensions...then click on file types and look for URL:MailToProtocol...highlight it OR double click on it and look at the actions box...it should say (in bold lowercase)<br>open...click on edit and make sure it says &quot;C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe&quot; /mailurl:%1...if it doesn't, type or paste that in and click okay...which puts you back in the editing action dialog box...then hit set default and open should (if it's not) go bold. Then close it all up...reboot and cross your fingers.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>( :&gt; [ ) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks cadman2, for the info, however it didn't work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I received the message 'couldn't find the program.'&nbsp;&nbsp;I must be missing something else

That basically means that we you click on the &lt;a href=&quot;mailto:<A HREF="mailto:asdf@asdf.com">asdf@asdf.com</A>&quot;&gt;somebody email address&lt;/a&gt;windows explorer is set to open that tag into outlook express, microsofts default mail viewer.&nbsp;&nbsp;An easier way to get this email address is to right click over the link for the email address and then select the option to copy shortcut.&nbsp;&nbsp;this will copy the email address into the clipboard then use notepad or word and past it into that.&nbsp;&nbsp;hope this helps<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br> "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the<br>
Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is<br>
not true." <br>
--Robert Wilensky, University of California <br>
<br>
<br>

Thanks tmoses, I had already tried this, but without 'right'clicking...I just didn't think of doing that.

yeah microsoft likes to force you to use their crappy outlook exspress.&nbsp;&nbsp;you can do the same thing over any link to grab the location without actually going to it <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br> "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the<br>
Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is<br>
not true." <br>
--Robert Wilensky, University of California <br>
<br>
<br>

Good info, tmoses....also the easiest and most useful..plan on checking out your website for more good tips?

sorry but my site just crashed and it will take some time to put it back up :(<br><br> <p>moses<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"In the beginning there was HTML, and it was good"<br>
by Nick Heinle, Designing with JavaScript<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back