Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending HTML mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
I'm using Sco Openserver 5.0.2 with mmdf for mail. Is it possible to send mail as HTML, so that it will appear correctly in a Microsoft Outlook client? I've tried just including HTML code, but the email still goes through as a plain text file and outlook just shows the HTML code.
Is there anything else that i can do to set the mail as a HTML one?

Thanks!
James.

The 4 lines between the subject line
and <html> made it work for me with
sendmail.

Do you have any hints on configuring sco sendmail installed on a private ip network with an internet gateway, for sending mail over the internet via SMTP?

Subject: test html email
MIME-Version:1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset=uk-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding:7bit

<HTML>
<HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY>
</HTML>

Thanks for the reply but it seems that the mmdf system works a bit differently to sendmail. The subject is entered as part of the command line, and the mail itself comes from the standard input, or a file. Whatever is put into the file being mailed doesn't seem to be checked by the program - it's just sent, so when i tried the example that you gave - the whole thing just came through as the email.

Thanks anyway! As for your problem with sendmail and your smtp, i'm not sure - i run the same setup. The default gateway on the machine is set up as 10.0.0.70 and in the configuration of MMDF it's set up as though it is directly connected to the internet.

I think you're getting the Mail User Agent (the program 'mail') mixed up with the Mail Transport Agent (mmdf).

The problem seems to be that the mail program inserts a space between the headers and the message text, so if you use 'mail' you get the same problem either with mmdf or sendmail. With mmdf I imagine you could pipe your output through /usr/mmdf/bin/submit - it's rather less straightforward than sendmail.

FWIW, in 'mail' you don't have to type the subject - you can use the -s command line option.

Hope this helps!

That sounds like it's worth a go, but i've just been through the man entry for submit and it's a bit daunting, does anyone have any examples of how i would use it?

Thanks!

I'm looking for the same solution.
What *was* working before we went to 5.0.6 was to cat directly to the spool file with the email seperators and the headers containing Content-Type: text/html. The problem with that is if the email is being pulled at the same time I'm appending to it I end up either locking up the system or filling up the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back