Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending emails thru vb.net...Everything works with the code, except...

Status
Not open for further replies.

frikfrak3

Technical User
Jan 14, 2004
CA
Hi,

I've used the examples in the FAQ to send emails thru VB.NET. There's no problems sending emails and everything works great EXCEPT that it seems I can't send to emails to somebody outside the company.

I'm thinking it might be an MS-Exchange Option somewhere that's not allowing it to go further than my domain. I can';t seem to send to people that are not at (for example: weston.com).

Can somebody please help me with this because I'm sure it's not my code. It works prefcetl excpet going to somebody other than mydomain.com.

Any help at all.. rgeatl appreciated.. im sure somebody's seen this problem before... :)

tanks,
FF

Is it possible that your company has a firewall that doesn't allow you to connect directly to an SMTP port outside?

hi,

I really don't think so, but how can I check that?

tnx

Try to telnet from your machine behind the firewall to port 25 on some server you know to be running SMTP. mx1.mail.yahoo.com would work.

From a command prompt you can just type
[tt]telnet mx1.mail.yahoo.com 25[/tt]

If you can connect you'll get a "service ready" message. Just type [tt]QUIT[/tt] and hit return to disconnect.

If the connection fails, your firewall is most likely not letting you through.

hi,

OK, I tried that... I got a "service ready"...How else can I solve this?

Any helpl , please..

tanks,
FF

At this point I think seeing your code would help.

Hi,

Here;s my code:

Try
Dim MailMsg As New MailMessage()
With MailMsg
.From = "HaHa@ourdomain.net"
.To = "test@test.net"
.Subject = "Anntena Time"
.Body = sLeBody
.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
.Priority = MailPriority.High
End With
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = "concept-pdc"
SmtpMail.Send(MailMsg)
MailMsg = Nothing
Exit Sub
Catch
MsgBox("Error")
End Try

Can anybody please help me :)

tanks,
FF

HI,

OK, actually, there is a problem with that TELNET command. (I'm sorry, I tried it on a computer that wasn't connected to our LAN). BUT, when I do it from our main machine. it says: "Connecting To mx1.mail.yahoo.com...Could not open a connection to host'

So, is it the firewall?? How can I fix that?

PLease, any help would be great,

tanks,
FF

Hi,

My firewall model is LINKSYS Firewall BEFSX41-CA.

How do I activate Port 25 from this thing? :)

many tanks,
FF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back