Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending email out multiple connections to the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskr4evr

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Hello all!! I'm in a bind and hopefully someone can help me....

My network has two connections to the internet provided by different ISP's. Connection #1 is protected by a Unix like firewall. Connection #2 is protected by a Cisco firewall.

I have an Exchange 5.5 server. I have configured the Internet Mail Service connector to forward all "outbound" emails to my Unix like firewall. This firewall is configured to act as a 'smart host' for our network.

I can't configure the Cisco firewall to perform the same function as my Unix firewall. Nor can I be a new firewall.

I would like to configure my Exchange 5.5 server so that I can send emails destined to us.army.mil out Connection #1. Everything else goes out Connection #2.

Since my Cisco firewall can't act as a 'smart host' and my ISP won't provide me with a 'smart host', what can I do?? I need a host to forward to?? Right?? Must I set something outside my firewall??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

On the Connections tab of your IMC, use the "specify by email domain" option to send mails for us.army.mil out via your Unix smart host. On the main part of the Connections tab, don't use a smart host, instead just use DNS. But FIRST, make sure you've got working name resolution....

How can I determine if I have working name resolution with Exchange??

First do some NSLOOKUP tests from the exchange server. Then try to telnet to an outside mail server on port 25 (by hostname, not IP). If you get a banner, you should be good to go...

Thanks Brontosaurus!! That did it. I made this more difficult than it needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back