Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending Email of Hotmail in OE6: Server Response: 'Forbidden'

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick99

Programmer
Feb 4, 2004
HK
There was no problems for sending and receiving Hotmail emails in Outlook express 6. But starting from a few days ago, I can't send email, but receiving email is ok.

When I try to send an email, the following error message is shown:
Access to the account was denied. Verify that your username and password are correct. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: ' Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Forbidden', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC33

After having the error, all the email folders listed are deleted. I need to login Hotmail using browser and enter the words shown in a crazy image. The account will then be alright to receive email again, but not send...

I have already scanned my computer for virus, adware and spyware.

Please help!

this is a hotmail issue, your isp does not allow relay from a different account. also, hotmail does not like it either.

If this is not a paid for account, you are now forbidden to send emails from any mail readers. You have to use the WebMail version through Internet Explorer. This is being migrated across HotMail and MSNMail worldwide.

If you upgrade your account, you can again use a Mail Reader.

Regards: tf1

tf1:
Yes. My Hotmail account is free, not the Plus version.
You meant that Microsoft no longer allow Hotmail free version user to use Outlook or OE to send email?!

That's correct. You either have to upgrade to the paid account or use the WebMail version using IE.

tf1, would you be so kind as to post a link to the information that you are stating about hotmail? I can not find any such information and can still send from OE using my [free] hotmail account. Could this be a UK thing?

patrick99, if this has been going on for some time (not a temporary hotmail server thing) I would suggest asking your ISP if they know of any similar problems. My first guess is that there might be some problem between your ISP and HotMail. If you post back, also let us know if this is the only e-mail account that you use with OE or if you have a pop mail account also.

It is being rolled out Worldwide. I'll see if I can find a link to the original release on this (won't be until tomorrow as its late here now!).

All I can find is an article from Woody's Email Essentials 30 September 2004 - Vol. 2 No.8 titled @Hotmail Changes. WEE is an email subscription only and unlike Woody's other email services such as WOW (Woody's Office Watch), I don't believe there are any archives for WEE. Here is the extract from the archived email on my computer:

@ Hotmail changes
There’s an important change to Microsoft’s Hotmail service coming which will effect people who use Hotmail with Outlook or Outlook Express.

Outlook 2002 or 2003 and Outlook Express have a feature to let you receive and send email via your Hotmail account but using the software interface instead of the usual web browser method. This is a handy way to store past messages offline or to compose long messages. Setting it up is fairly easy, just create a new email account in the software and choose the ‘HTTP’ or Hotmail option. Though it is labeled ‘HTTP’ in the software it actually uses an extension of the web protocol called WebDAV to communicate with the Hotmail servers.

From now on, only paid subscribers will be able to access their Hotmail accounts via Outlook or Outlook Express. Microsoft says that WebDAV features have been abused by spammers and they need to clamp down on access.

If you’ve been using WebDAV to access your email with an external email client then you have some time to decide what to do. Microsoft says that people who have been using the feature will be given continued access until March 2005.

The paid options are to either join MSN Premium or Hotmail Plus ($19.95 a year). While Microsoft is ‘selling’ this as a anti-spam measure there’s no doubt it may help convert people to paying customers.

It’s just as well this change is getting mentions in various media because you’d never know from looking on the Microsoft sites. There’s nothing on the Microsoft web site devoted to press announcements nor on the MSN or Hotmail sites – even the online help and account policies haven’t been updated.

This change is a sad but alas necessary thing. While it probably won’t make a difference to the amount of spam we all get, it will make things a bit harder for the bad guys.
End Quote

I had a similar problem when trying to sync the folders for a new Hotmail account in Outlook 2003. After numerous attempts I eventually recieved a pop-up message from Hotmail telling me that I could only do this if I upgraded my account. I haven't seen any posting on the site itself.

I found one reference from approximately September of last year also, but have not seen anything official from Hotmail. And using OE to send through hotmail works just fine for me, that's why I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks all of you for replying my post.

I have tried to sent hotmail email using OE6 of my friend's computer. He is using broadband (while I am using 56k...). The same problem rised. I think MS no longer allow me to use OE6 to sent hotmail...

On the same time, when using browser to sent hotmail, I need to enter password when (1)After clicking "Attach File" and (2)After clicking "Send". It is very annoying.

patrick, i sent an indignant email to hotmail (through their "contact us" link under options) and today got a message that existing customers would be allowed to access their email through clients like outlook, but not new customers. i am not sure if they are sending this to every existing customer, and it's pure coincidence that i complained just yesterday, but i have reason to believe that they are not. so i would recommend threatening to switch to Gmail, and that should do the trick.

i haven't had to log in and do that crazy verification thing once today!

For those that don't want to read the post that I referenced above:

OK, I finally took some time to do some more extensive research on this hotmail matter and found that it true. This is primarily an effort to reduce spam sent through the hotmail servers. My understanding of how it affects users is:

1. Starting at the end of September 2004, new free hotmail accounts can not be accessed via OE & Outlook
2. Users like myself and rwfhere that have previously used OE or Outlook to access their hotmail accounts will continue to be able to do so, until some unspecified time in early 2005

With XP SP2, the OE error message has been revised, but it seems that in other os's the cause of the 'unknown error' will not be as obvious:
Here's some more info:

yes, what smah writes is true.

what i'm saying is that that unspecified time in early 2005 is upon us now. and regardless of what they say about this being a tactic to reduce spam and whatnot, it's also a pretty blatant attempt to make more money either directly OR by sending people to login on the website for advertisers. if you write hotmail, however, and say something to the effect of your being a loyal customer but fed up with this and ready to switch, you will get your pop3 access back... indefinitely.

so, for those of you who, like me, were cut off around mid-february, i suggest a simple complaint email.

Existing/active 'Hotmail via OE' users have not been cut off - yet. My suspicion is that it won't actually happen until the end of the year. Interestingly enough, today I got a message from Hotmail. An excerpt is below.

Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express.

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express.

Although they may end up getting more money from the paid services, it truly is an attempt to curb spam sent through the hotmail servers. OE and Outlook do not access Hotmail via POP3 - they access it via DAV. Making this type of access only available to those who subscribe to the paid service will reduce the spam sent through there, but unfortunately, I'm sure that spammers will find other ways to compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back