Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending data in parts not whole chunk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernini

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
MT
Hi ,

Is there a setting or something i can do to tell the web server to send data in small parts instead of the whole page all together! It seems that this is slowing down the system!

Tahnks
B

Bernini,

There are many factors that could contribute to your server's slow response, including memory and CPU limitations, memory, other running processes, network bandwidth and latency, slow WAN links, etc.

So...
What OS, OS version, and version of Apache are you using?
What is you CPU speed and RAM capacity?
Are there other memory-intensive processes running?
Do you have a wireless LAN or 10-baseT ethernet cards?
What speed is your broadband connection?

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Hi Wishdiak,

So the specs you require are:

Fedora Core 3
Apache 2.0.52
Pentium 4 2.6GHZ with 512MB of Ram
Running are service like Samba, qMail, sendmail ipTables, and other small services
Local Area Network of 10/100
Since its an intranet it has no connotation with broadband but we do have an internet link of 1024/256 bps

Any other information?

Thanks
B

Bernini,

Are all of the latency issues that you're having related to your intranet clients? Nothing that you posted above really jumps out as a cause of latency.

Typically, TCP/IP packets are sent in small "chunks" of data from the server to the client (and vice versa), which are reassembled when the transmission is complete, so your server should already be doing this.

Wishdiak

Thats what i thought! but somewhere i read that the PHP scripts are all flushed out at one go! i really don't know where to start looking and what to look for! so any ideas will be great!

Thanks
B

Bernini,

PHP scripts are executed on the server when requested by clients, but even with many simultaneous client requests, you shouldn't experience much server load. You could certainly try to increase the server's RAM. 512mb is not much for a webserver that's also running other services.

Do your Apache logs show anything that might be helpful to identify the cause of the latency?

Wishdiak

The Logs just show missing links! nothing much!

Could it be because of SSL? I'm using https for my intranet on port 443. The encryption key (private and public) where created and signed on my Linux Server itself!

Could it have any affect on the performance?

Thanks
B

Bernini,

Using SSL certainly could slow down the server, if many clients are attempting to negotiate security at the same time.

Since it's an intranet server, try it without the SSL layer, and you'll probably see an increase in performance.

Wishdiak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back