Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sending data from a word form to an access database

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurf01

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2002
GB
Is it possible to set up a data entry form in Word and submit the data into an Access database Regards

Paul

Why not just set up the data entry form in Excel...very easy to transfer data from Excel sheet to Access.

What I was thinking of doing was creating a form template in Word having the user enter the relevant data which is then saved to an access database and then the form is e-mailed to the appropiate person. Perhaps I am looking at this all wrong I would welcome any suggestions Regards

Paul

Hi,
As an update to this thread i am looking to do what JFHewitt proposed and create a data entry form in Excel however just a couple of questions. One of my fields in the database is set as autounumber this is so that each complaint is given a unique ID, what i want to do is when a user enters a new complaint in the excel form I can have a field set in the excel data entry form that displays the new complaint number, this is so that i can automatically insert it againgst the data for that complaint. The reason for this is that i could have several items against the one complaint number.

this is an example of the form

complaint No = (Autonumber from Access) lets say = 10

Complaint No date Item ID Qty
10 27/01/2003 pens 3
10 27/01/2003 pencils 4
10 27/01/03 rubbers 5

Then when I submit the data to Access it creates in the case three new records, each record relates to the same conplaint number

I hope you can understand what I am trying to do

Regards

Paul

Hi,

Have you considered designing the form as an access form? In this case the problem that you have could be resolved by using a sub form (detailing the items) on a main form (detailing the complaint).

This would need 2 tables to store the information (one for the complaint and the other for the item(s) within the complaint), with a link established using the access tools/relationship function. To create the forms just use the forms wizard in access to format the form. Data entered will be automatically updated into the access database.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,
Please excuse me but I am relatively new at this, i have indeed created a mainform and subform which works great.My problem seems to be that i would like to e-mail details from the subform to relevant people however, when i try to use "SEND" it will only let me send the form as an attchment. What i would like to do is to send the data to look something like a spreadsheet which would include at the top, e-mail address fields i.e. "To" and "CC" and also the conmpany Logo etc.
Regards

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back