Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending a link 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

picklepowder

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
Using Notes R5, how can I send a link or network path that when clicked on shoots you to a specific document?

Assuming you know the path and it is to a document not stored in Lotus, write whatever text will serve as the link, highlight it (drag mouse with button held down), then go to your menu up top and choose CREATE, HOTSPOT, LINK HOTSPOT. A "Hotspot Resource Link" pop-up window should display. On it, the TYPE should be "URL", and you should enter the path to the document on the VALUE line.

If the attachment is embedded in Lotus already, you should be able to open the document it is embedded in, use the right mouse button to click and pull up a menu, then select "Copy As Link". Return to your memo and paste into the spot the link is to go. A small icon will appear there.

I tried this solution, but I have always the same error :
URL syntaxt incorrect.

But if I use the same URL with the exect function, there is no problem. Example : c:/choc.csv

Should I use quote ? is there something else to do ? Do you have any idea ?

I am using Notes R5.

Rgds
Thanks

If you are using a network path to a mapped drive, are you sure that the recipient has the same mapping that you have ?

Here is an example copied directly from the "Value" line of the Hotspot properties in one of my up-and-running cases. I've tested it both in Notes and Internet Explorer to make certain it works:

\\Pc1280\Switchboard\TELEPHONE LIST.doc

this links to server "Pc1280", folder "Switchboard", document "TELEPHONE LIST.doc". Notice that I didn't use "C:" drive or a mapped drive. As pmonett noted, mapping would need to be identical. Out of curiosity I experimented with the quotes you suggested, but that confused the computer.
Hope that helps.

Dear all,
This solution finally works on some PCs, but the file is opened with the NOTES viewer and note the right application. Ex the EXCEL file is opened with NOTES and not EXCEL, so I can not modify it, nor save it.

Any idea why ?

Thanks

Tephane

Dear all,
This solution finally works on some PCs, but the file is opened with the NOTES viewer and not the right application. Ex : the EXCEL file is opened with NOTES (with the viwer)and not EXCEL, so I can not modify it, nor save it.

Any idea why ?

Thanks

Tephane

Your comment said "NOTES (with the viwer)" Is this in reference to the NOTES browser or perhaps the NOTES with Internet Explorer browser?

If it is either of those, try resetting your browser to just Internet Explorer. To do this, open your NOTES, go to the bottom corner to your right, and find the button with a word or words on it like "Office", "Home", "Island", etc. The button is a built-in part of the framework for Lotus. Click on the button and choose "Edit Current" from the list. When the location document appears, click on the "Internet Browser" tab and changing the browser to "Microsoft Internet Explorer. Save changes (you might need to restart Notes). I didn't have an Excel file with which to experiment, but my Word doc opened by opening MS Word inside the internet browser, and still let me make and save modification to the document.

In fact the problem was that we have q'uick view plus ' installed on our PCs and I have realized that it was integrated to Notes and IE.
So I have done what you explained, this solved a problem I did not explained before, so thanks !
And I have changed quick view plus, asking him not to be integrated to IE.
And That's work !

Just a question : When I click on the link, it asks me if I want to open the file or to save it on the hard disk. Is this normal ? How can I set by default that I want to open the file instead of save it ?

Glad it helped!

In regards to linking with Notes as this thread describes, I've not encountered the message you describe. My files just open. Just a guess: you may be seeking a setting with Internet Explorer, since Lotus does not use the term "save as". Lotus calls this "detaching".

Any one else have a clue?

By the way, Thanks rdannand !
Yes, you're right I think that the message comes from IE.

When you click on a link on a web page in IE to download a file, does it ask you if you want to save the file on the hard disk or if you want to open it directly ?

Because, I do not know If we can have different configuration if I click on a link on a Notes message or a link on a web page ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back