Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sending a form via email

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason12776

Technical User
Nov 15, 2001
US
I have recently been told that when sending a form via email, there is a difference if it is hosted on a linex server or Microsoft server. One would call a CGI script and the Microsoft, well, I'm not sure what it would call. Could someone assist me with this process. What scripts and where would I find them, and incorporate them into the html code. I coded the page with html.

Cheers

As far as I know, for the Microsoft stuff it's ASP. I've also looked a little into doing this and started running into problems with my ISP over the scripts. You have to know what the server is running. That's about all I know.

L8r,
Robert

On a linux (or other *nix) server, your script would normally call sendmail to send the email. MS server's don't have sendmail. You can get a program called blatmail that will substitute for it, or you can just use SMTP directly. Here's a program that will use sendmail on *nix, or SMTP on either *nix or MS:
Disclaimer: it's my program, and it's not free, but it should do what you want. Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Hi mate,

A Unix server normally uses sendmail which is called by the cgi script. A Windows server uses either a sendmail alternative or sends the mail directly to a SMTP server.

You have not mentioned what server you are trying to use this script on so I am not going to go into detail about both until I know that.

If you want, you can check out a great script by a fellow user on this forum at
This script allows you to send mail easily using either sendmail or SMTP.

Hope this helps Wullie

Wullie, we muse have been typing at the same time! Thanks for the plug!

To be fair, I should also point out that there are also other form-mailing programs at Tracy Dryden
tracy@bydisn.com

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back