Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send To mail recipient as attachment problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrobert

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
US
When I do File-->Send To-->Mail Receipient(As attachment) from word, excel, picture viewer, etc...I am not able to send the email. The email pops up with the attached document, but when I hit the send button, nothing happens...the email stays up on the screen and nothing is sent. I am using office xp (2002) and have sp3 and the kb update from officeupdate website but it still does not work. Any ideas of what could be happening or a possible fix? Thanks

The following is copied from Word Help. See if it helps:

To e-mail or route a document as an attachment in Word format (.doc) You need Word 2000 and one of the following e-mail programs:

Outlook, Outlook Express, Microsoft Exchange Client, or another 32-bit e-mail program compatible with the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI). Make sure Mapi32.dll is in the Windows System folder.

Lotus cc:Mail or another 16-bit e-mail program compatible with Vendor Independent Messaging (VIM). Make sure Mapivi32.dll, Mapivitk.dll, and Mvthksvr.exe are in the Windows System folder.

Notes:
E-mailing and routing messages and documents may not work across electronic mail gateways.

Some message options, such as voting and encryption, are available only if you’re using Microsoft Exchange Server.

Sawedoff

Thanks for the info sawedoff,

we have exchange server and outlook and word and mapi is ok and it doesn't work...I don't understand it. Anyone have any other suggestions or had this similar problem? And actually I am the only person in the office that has this problem and everyone else is on the same service pack (3) and has all the updates. There has to be a setting somewhere that I'm missing or something else going haywire. Thanks for any help.

I hate to say this, but it might be the configuration of the exchange account. You might ask your administrator to delete and re-setup your exchange account on your pc. I hope that might work.

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

Open Internet Explorer (believe it or not).

Go to Tools-Internet Options, Programs tab.
Make sure the appropriate email program is chosen.

If it is, then you'd best reinstall it since it's not seen.

Anne Troy

I've already looked at IE and the program for email is Outlook...this is a suggestion I saw on MS website...sometimes MS works in weird ways. Thanks for the suggestion.

So if the program is correct than you suggest to reinstall Office? Thanks for the help

exactly. Just delete the exchange account and recreate the account from scratch.

misscrf

Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things

Well...I don't think that's needed. There's nothing wrong with the mailbox on the server. It's just the client side is messed up. :)

You could Start-Run and type outlook.exe /regserver and hit enter. This *could* get Outlook to *re-seat* itself, and take over...

Anne Troy

Okay, thanks for the suggestions so far...

I was playing around with the lady's Outlook and I would try to send an excel/word file as attachment as stated originally, it comes up with the actual email with doc attached...when I clicked the "Send" button (on the email) or did File-->Send then the email simply remained on the screen and was not sent...BUT! I used the shortcut for Send: Ctrl+Enter and the email was sent. Weirdest thing I've ever seen...why would the shortcut for the Send command work but not the Send command button itself? I'm going to try and reinstall Outlook as suggested anyways, cause there could be some other quirk in her program.

Yep, that fixed it...detect and repair solved the problem. I figured it was a bigger problem than that, but sometimes the simple things will fix the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back