Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send to Desktop as Shortcut won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspectz

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
GB
I have a few Win95 PCs where the sendto folder in windows has this item there. Alongside floppy A: etc. I can delete and recreate the "send to desktop as a shortcut" icon, or even copy the item from a WIn95 PC where it does work, but all to no avail. See the Microsoft Technet article Q191882 to see how to make the shortcut icon, if it is missing.

It is a very minor issue, and there is another easy way of getting a shortcut to a certain folder on the desktop, but it niggles and the people are "fussy so and so's".

Help

aspectz,

Go to Start>Run, and type regsvr32.exe sendmail.dll. shutdown and restart.

reghakr

If the above fails:
open Notepad and copy and paste the following between the lines and save the file as desklinkfix.reg. Double-click on the file to merge the contents into the registry.

==============BEGIN CUT====================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}]
"NeverShowExt"=""
@="Desktop as Shortcut PowerToy"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\InProcServer32]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\SENDMAIL.DLL "
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:WINDOWS\\EXPLORER.exe,3 "

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{9E56BE61-C50F-11CF-9A2C-00A0C90A90CE}"
==============END CUT=================

reghakr

Thankyou reghakr

I can see it is something to do with it, but it still isn't working.

I found that the regsvr32.exe sendmail.dll line with a /u switch added, removed the icon for the sendto desktop option. I could replace it by either running the same switch again (and rebooting) or adding that lot to the registry.

Unfortunately, the Boss doesn't like wiping windows, and reinstalling from scratch. A lot has happened to the windows installation.

Ho - Hum ! ! !

aspectz,

the /u switch unregisters (removes) it.

reghakr

yes, I know the /u switch unregisters it. See regsvr32/?. I tried
regsvr32.exe sendmail.dll /u
reboot
regsvr32.exe sendmail.dll
reboot

I also tried this with removing the registry keys you mention. Then replacing them inline with the regsvr32 command

Thanks anyway

aspectz

Try this:

[1] Right click the START button and click Explore.
[2] Double click the SendTo folder.
[3] Click File / New / Text Document and type Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK
[4] Press Enter and click Yes.
[5] Close the Explorer window.

GL smitee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back