Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send to - Compressed (Zipped) Folder Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtim1234

Technical User
May 22, 2014
CA
Does anyone know the DOS or command line equivalent of using this process Send to - Compressed (Zipped) Folder in Windows 7? I would like to ZIP and UNZIP files from a command prompt without needing a 3rd party application.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't believe there is a native solution.
Link

Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Have a look at the compact command. I've only ever used it twice in 15 years and can't remember the syntax but I know it does work.

I initially did look at this command but it doesn't do what I need it too. I need a better compression and in the ZIP format, but thank you as well. The compress command in the Resource kit Tools looked promising, but it isn't available for Win 7.

Actually there ought to be a way to do this from the command line via the rundll32 command. But I'm nowhere near a Pc for the next couple of weeks, so can't verify the exact calls necessary.

> without needing a 3rd party application
Sorry; but zip.exe and unzip.exe are pretty handy.

Note sure about CMD but you can with Powershell which is present on all windows machines 7 and up

Get-Childitem c:\MyFile -Recurse | Write-Zip -IncludeEmptyDirectories -OutputPath C:\MyFile\test.zip

Recurse simply makes it copy sub folders/files etc.
Get-ChildItem gathers all the children of a parent object - files in a folder

Isn't that Write-Zip doodad also something you have to install first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back