Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send records to a table when deleting

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoot

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
Is there a way to make the "delete" record button store the deleted records in a table instead of deleting it? When I delete a record from my form, I want it to go to another table instead of being permanently deleted. When a client "terminates" (is deleted), I want to keep track of these clients in another table but don't want them in the form for for current clients. Thanks!

Smoot,

You would need to run an append query on the records that would be deleted to add them to the table where you wish them to be written, prior to doing your delete action.

HTH,

Steve

Another possibility is to add a yes/no field 'Deleted'. Instead of deleting the record, a user would tick the box. The query concerned would select on Deleted not true so next time you view the query the deleted record would be gone. But of course it's still there in the underlying table.

Thanks Steve and BNPMike. I ended up using a check box for terminated clients and a query that set terminated clients to yes in the criteria as BNPMike suggested. I was trying to do it "behind the scenes" using a command button but I think I would need a little more knowledge of VB huh! ;-) Thanks again!

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back