Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send mail alert when Arcserve backup complete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxheight

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2004
US
I have four servers scattered around the states. Only one of the servers is on our domain (our exchange server) and all the rest of the servers are just workgroup servers (but each of them is running Arcserve 2000 sp5). On our exchange server, I have been able to configure Arcserve to send me an e-mail summary of the backup every night when it is complete and I would like to do this on all of the servers on our network, but according to CA, only a mail server can be configured to send out e-mail alerts. Does anyone know a work around for this without bringing all of the servers on to the domain, and then having to install Exchange on all of them?

Thanks

Mark J. Sheffield
America's PowerSports

Exchange Server does not need to be running. This is from the ARCserve Admin Guide.

Important! You must install Lotus Notes or Microsoft Exchange Client to set up configuration data and to send messages.

Microsoft Exchange
To configure Microsoft Exchange settings, right-click and select one of the following:
? New Item—Lets you select email recipients.
? Message Attributes—If you select this, you can attach files to the email alert.
Enter a subject, click Add File to select the file you want to attach, and then click OK.
? MS Exchange Settings—If you select this, the Service Logon Settings dialog appears. This is the same dialog that appears when you set up a service account. Enter the domain, user name, and password you want to use with the Alert Service. Make sure the account and user you enter is an account with Login as Service rights and is also an account on the Microsoft Exchange Server. If you are running the Microsoft Exchange Client, you must also enter the name of the server and mailbox. The mailbox name is case-sensitive and should not be hidden in a folder.

Note: If you are using Microsoft Outlook, right-click your Microsoft Outlook icon and select Properties. Select Microsoft Exchange Server and click Properties to view the server and mailbox information you should enter.

Just wanted to say that davidmichel was 100% correct. I installed Outlook on the machine under the administrative account, and then configured the account under control panel/mail and then under the alert manager. Once that was done, I had to go back in to the job options to configure the alert section. After that, it all worked well.

I should point out one oddity. In the Arcserve manager, when I clicked on Alert Manager, nothing ever happened, no windows opened up. I finally browsed to the Arcserve folder, and then the Alert subfolder and found the executable for the alert manager, and then it would open up, which allowed me to configure the settings. I think this may have something to do with me not installing Arcserve in the default directory, but thought this might help someone.

Thanks again for the help.

Mark

Mark J. Sheffield
America's PowerSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back