Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Send backup jobs to 2 different media servers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akcongo

MIS
May 28, 2004
US
I have media servers in 4 different locations in my org. Rather than physically moving backup tapes offsite I'd like to send copies of jobs to tape devices connected to offsite media servers. However, the documentation says that you can only send copies to devices connected to the same media server. Has anyone found a way around this?

I'm using NBU 6.5 in a Win 2003 environment.

Thank you!

Your post implied using inline tape copy and two media servers. That won't work. I don't know how this could be done due the way that the data is moved. The data is read from the client and placed into a memory buffer onto the media server before it goes to the tape drives. I don't know how another media server could access the originating media servers memory buffer.

Can you simply do all of the backups over a network to the other site? I've had clients do this:

siteA clients backup to siteB media server.
siteB clients backup to siteA media server.

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?"

Thanks, Stumpr. That makes sense. I also figured out how to duplicate backup images which may also work for me.

As bob said, this will send data over the network. If it ends up being a lot of data, you might consider dedupe (PureDisk, DataDomain, etc.).

Just taking a wild guess, I've never done this.

Could you use SSO license and assign the drives/disk from one of the other locations to the one doing the backup. Just create a new storage unit assigned to the media server doing the backup and with SSO, shouldn't it be able to control the other drives/disk. Then this would result in 1 media server with the storage units assigned to it doing the backups, resulting in the ability for inline tape copy to work.

Again, just a shot in the dark, and probably completely wrong, if so, I'm sorry.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to try just sending the backup jobs offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back