Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Semi-Newbie PPTP VPN, openSSH question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatmander

Technical User
Sep 24, 2002
IE
I seems to have a problem.

I've only started using this VPN/SSH stuff lately, there is a lot of experimenting going on, so I am probably doing something simple wrong

The Situation:
I set up an 'openSSH' server on one of my XP work computers (for secure VNC),
I went home, connected up through putty, then VNC and everything was working great; I had remote secure VNC at last...

Then, a few days later, I ran the built in XP incoming VPN connection server on the same PC... set up an incoming connection, twiddled firewall again, and went home hopeful...

At home I connected through ssh with putty, then VNC, working great etc.
Closed connection…
Created connection to VPN, marvellous, it worked, Lan2Lan pptp on first attempt(pure luck)

The Problem:
However when I try and re-connect with the work computer with winscp or putty I get the message "Network error: Connection refused"
Which I think means (from crawling google...) that the SSH service is no longer running on the work PC(it’s crashed prob.)

Is there something about running SSH and PPTP on same server, or probs with openSSH and winxp?
I have tried searching but I am only getting more confused...
Am I missing something?
Any help is much appreciated

OK it's sorted,

When I came into work this morning,Zone alarm(more firewalls) on work PC detected new network(more 10.x.x.x),
Placed the new network into trusted zone and SSH and PPTP both working on same server.

I've been trying to get openSSH server to work on a wondows maching for a few days now, how did you get it to work? What insturctions did you follow? did you install the full cgywin or did you use the openssh for windows thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back