Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selling XP computer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindancer

Technical User
Jun 1, 2002
US
I am selling my box in order to upgrade.I have told the buyer he can have my windows xp included. can I reformat it for him and then register it in his name? Does he need to use my name to register it? If I have 2 computers registered(I'm going to get XP on my next comp.)under my name will microsoft be suspicious? Can he somehow get me into trouble with a computer registerd in my name? IS it legal to sell an OS with a comp. thanx for any info

You can format it and have him register it in his name as far as i know.I have bought plenty of computers with a os included from indaviduals.Although xp has taken some new measures to prevent pirated copys i dont think you will have any problems.

You do not even have to register, you only have to activate. When you activate, your name is not involved.

Microsoft's OS licenses have had a non-transferrable clause in them since way back when, so it's not legal. Your choice, really. My morals tend to be on the looser side so it wouldn't bother me.

As to M$ being suspicous, trust me, they'll LOVE it!! It would mean their goal of Product Activation worked as they planned -- you are buying a seperate license for each working copy of the OS!

[note -- the second remark was sarcasm -- they'll never know.]

Hmm.. since I actually went back and checked, turns out you're in the clear: from EULA.TXT in your X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory:

4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another end user. The transfer has to include all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms.

I have to admit, I'm really surprised by this. Anyone want to buy some used Win95 CDs?? All original component parts are provided...

thanx all! thats all i need to know. i have sold my old box and am waiting patiently(somewhat) for the super-computer(at least to me,1900XP, asus a7v333) to show up with windows xp installed. wow i paid200 bucks for 8 months of windows xp. what a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back