Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self Join

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinkjo

Programmer
Apr 12, 2003
US
I have a need to join a table to itself. I need to determine if for a given deal number the swap deal number does not exist on the table. Here is my query thus far, but it is really dogging. Is there a better approach ??

select a.counter_ccy,
a.value_date,
sum(a.counter_amt) * -1
from trade_data a
where a.branch = 'NY' and
a.deal_type = 'SELL' and
not exists (select 1 from trade_data b where b.deal_num = a.swap_deal_num and b.ticket_area = a.ticket_area)
group by a.currency, a.value_date

First problem is the use of "Not In". Big dog on processing right there. Instead, use left join on null'd records from the sub query.

The best way to learn is by trial and error so see what you can come up with from this suggestion and repost your new query to the forum if you need additional assistance.

Stay Cool Ya'll! [smile2]

-- Kristin

not 100% sure what you mean by that...could you post a sample....thanks

Try this and see if it works:

Code:
SELECT Counter_CCY,
       Value_Date,
       Counter_Sum = SUM(Counter_AMT) * -1

FROM  Trade_Data A

LEFT JOIN  Trade_Data B
    ON    B.Deal_Num = A.Swap_Deal_Num
      AND B.Ticket_Area = A.Ticket_Area

WHERE B.Deal_Num IS NULL
    AND B.Ticket_Area IS NULL

AND A.Branch = 'NY'
    AND A.Deal_Type = 'SELL'

GROUP BY A.Currency,
           A.Value_Date

Most of the time, a query that uses EXISTS or NOT EXISTS will perform slowly. Try using JOINs such as above and see if it improves the performance.

Alternately, if the tables are large consider your indexing strategy. Properly placed indexes can dramatically improve performance. I'm not an indexing expert by any means but consider indexes on the fields you are joining by (deal_num, swap_deal_num, ticket_area) and the fields in your selection criteria (branch, deal_type)

HTH,
John

Oh, make the SELECT list:
Code:
SELECT [red]A.[/red]Counter_CCY,
       [red]A.[/red]Value_Date,
       [red]A.[/red]Counter_Sum = SUM(Counter_AMT) * -1
John

Scratch that:
Code:
SELECT [red]A.[/red]Counter_CCY,
       [red]A.[/red]Value_Date,
       Counter_Sum = SUM([red]A.[/red]Counter_AMT) * -1
I wish the posts where editable...
John

I can't read the last 2 posts. Was there an update to the suggested query ?

SELECT A.Counter_CCY,
A.Value_Date,
Counter_Sum = SUM(A.Counter_AMT) * -1

Just putting the alias "A" in front of the fields in the SELECT list, something I left out of the original query.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back