Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selective Start-up problems...... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasty

Technical User
Nov 27, 2004
US
OK - I did it this time....

I bought a used Presario 5000 that didn't work from someone that couldn't screw the top back on a peanut butter jar, and didn't want to have anything to do with it anymore - it wouldn't even start-up - not even a light would come on.

(I won't say how much I paid, but it rhymes with $25)

Opened it up, and TADA!! the power cord was unplugged from the mobo.

Plug - clip - push button - WOW - Windows ME !! Nice graphics !! - great sound !!

Everything !!

So - having several years experience w/98, I naturally did the first thing any sane responsible person would do - I uninstalled AOHell....

Along with their personal files that were none of my business.... (pics - notepad entries - that kind of thing...)

Reboot.

"You are using Selective Start-up for Trouble Shooting your system".

No I am not.... HHhmmmm....

Must have been the AOHell uninstall - I've heard it sometimes causes problems with Microsoft systems -

Regedit.

Fnd AOL - delete - find more - delete - etc..

(Yes, I've done this bazillions of times - I'm more comfortable in the registry than I am in a clean pair of sox...)

Restart.

"You are using Selective Start-up for trouble shooting your system......"

EEeee....

OK -

Google...

Removing AOHell from Windows ME -

Hmm - FAQ - tweaking advice - walk-thru - there it is !!

Walk-thru...

Did it.

Done.

Restart.

"You are using Selective Start-up for trouble shooting your system...."

What did I do wrong ??

It's a beautiful system, I hate to use it for parts....

HELLLP

PLEASE

Gnasty

You basically 'buy' someone else's trash.
Re-format and make your own system, you won't have all these surprises then. Who knows what is the next thing...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

I agree, but it's nice, and twice as fast as my litle girls' system, she's 12 now, and ready to get on the Net, and Xmas is coming...

Besides, it came without any disks, and I don't have all the Compaq jive disks to take advantage of, and I've had problems installing other systems on Compaqs before with just an OS disk....

BTW - how do I get into the BIOS in a Compaq ??

Gnasty

With F1, F2 or F10, depending the model

Otherwise, 'generate' an error, like keeping a key pressed before you power on, or take the CMOS battery out for some time.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Thanks Marc - for the timely replies (and the info)...

:)

I think you're right - this system running 98 should do just fine for my daughter - she doesn't network or cluster - she just needs nice looking system.... now, if I can just do an install without running into all the compaq crap, I should be OK....

Gnasty

You're welcome.
If it is not a too 'old' model, there should be no problems. Drivers can always be downloaded.

Marc
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back