Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selective Browsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PauserBR

Programmer
Jan 25, 2007
BR
After my ISP changed my phone line to another DSLAM, I am having a strange problem with my DSL link. I use a Linksys WRT54G router and the problem happens with the three micros I have connected to this router. I can access a few pages, including Tek-tips, Google, Microsoft and a few more sites, but with about 90% of them, I get a time out after the browser correctly identifies the site (so, it's not a DNS resolution problem). I tried with Windows XP Pro, Vista Premium and Ubuntu. My ISP said the problem was in my house, so I took the router and my notebook to a friend that has the same ISP, but with a different IP class. Everything worked fine there and I could access all the pages without any restriction. May I conclude the problem is with my ISP? Any hint?

Have you cleared the browser caches on your PC's?

For Internet Explorer 7, go to 'Tools > Internet Options' then, in the 'Browsing history' area, click on the 'Delete' button then select 'Delete Files...'. It's similar for IE6 and 8. (For IE6, tick the 'Offline Files' checkbox as well.)

Have you flushed the DNS caches?

For example, when an XP PC fails in a DNS-lookup operation it caches this failure with a time-to-live (TTL) so that if that domain name is requested again before the TTL has expired, the PC's DNS resolver simply returns another failure status without even consulting a DNS server this time.

For Windows XP/Vista:
1. Use 'Start > Run' and enter cmd to open a Command Prompt.
2. Enter ipconfig /flushdns to empty the local DNS cache of everything including any failed lookup entries.

For Linux, restart the nscd daemon.
Type /etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd restart in your terminal. Once you run the command the DNS cache will flush.

Hope this helps...

To Diancecht:
Turn off the firewall was my first bet. But it didn't work. The most strange fact is that I access without problem a few pages, Google and Tek-tips are examples of them, and I can not access imdb, for example. Now I see it's not a DNS resolution problem, because the page is identified correctly. Only it does not load.
Thank you for your help!

To Rick998:
Yes, I have flushed the DNS caches. The fact is that the problem does not occur for all sites, but for 90% of them.
Thank you for your help!

Addendum:
Usually, I browse with Firefox or Chrome, but I still have MSIE installed. I have the same behavior with MS's browser.

Something quite strange happened a few hours ago. All the problems I was having to browse the internet simply disappeared. And I did not change any configuration in my microcomputers. All of them are working fine now. I suppose it has something to do with my ISP, that probably adjusted a few settings. Anyway, the problem is over and I would like to thank Diancecht and Rick998 for their interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back