Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selection less that total in CS2 when using a brush

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedrock1

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
US
My goal is to mask a person's portrait and add blur to the background for seperation. To acheive this I:

Use quick mask mode and the brush tool to select the area I want to protect

Switch to normal mode, then invert the selection

Apply Gaussian blur to the selection, which is now the background. Everything so far is fine, the problem is that a small percentage of blur is also added to the masked area, ie. the face which I do not want blurred at all.
Another example is if I select a person's eyes with the brush tool then place them on their own layer via CTRL-J, the transparent background will show through the eyes on the new layer.

This happens even when using the following settings:

Brush mode = Normal
Brush hardness = 100%
Opacity = 100%
Flow = 100%
Feathering = lowest setting possible 0.2
Even Quick Mask option is set to 100%, which shouldn't matter anyway.

This only happens on my PC at work. At home the protected area remains totally protected.
Also, this only happens when using a brush tool. No other tool exhibits the problem.

I believe I had at one time found another setting somewhere which was causing this to happen. I recall changing something to make this go away. I cannot recall nor can I now find any other setting related to this. I think it was some sort of percentage setting that I had to adjust to 100%. Whatever it was, when I changed it, I ghuess it did not "stick" I do know that it is not anything that can be found under "Preferences"

Any ideas out there?

Maybe your preferenced have become corrupted, you can reset them to factory settings.

See my post on thread229-1028116

Thank you for responding.
I will save your suggestion for now but will try it later if I fail at discovering the setting I am after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back