Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selection in combo box automatically looks up another field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zooper

Technical User
Nov 16, 2001
US
This is what I've got:
A Customer Equipment form with a subform.

The main form displays customer name and other info. The subform displays the purchased part, price, and quantity. The subform is in datasheet view.

The purchased part field, [Part Number], is a combo box that gets information from table Equipment List. The value chosen is stored in the table Purchased Equipment. The price and the quantity field are inputted manually.

---------------------------------------------------------
This is what I need it to do:
The user chooses a part from the [Part Number] combo box. The corresponding price for that part number is then automatically looked up and placed in the price field in the subform. (I have already created a table with all the part numbers and their respective prices)

Example:
Part A costs $100
Part B costs $30
Part C costs $150

I select Part A from the combo box in the Part Number field in the subform. The price field is then set to $100.

-------------------------------------------------------

I know this is possible, I've seen an exact example of it in a sample database. I tried to figure out how the sample did it, but when I tried to replicate it, it wouldn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------
This is what I tried:
I tried using a query for the subform and it seemed to look up the values, but I couldnt modify the contents inside the subform. (It would only look up ones that I had previously input manually via the Purchased Equipment table). I got the message "Recordset not updateable".
------------------------------------------------------------

I know what I am trying to do is simple. Please excuse my noobishness.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Hi :)

Try this, On the Control source of the Item Price write

=DLookUp("[ItemPrice]","TblItems","[ItId] = " & [Forms]![MainFormName]![SubFormName]![ItId])

Cheers!
Aqif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back