Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selecting specific day in criteria field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosette

Technical User
Nov 30, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am stuck on something basic. I have a list of dates, and I want only to return Sundays. How do I select Sunday in the Criteria field? The date field is in short date format.

Thanks for your help.

Cosette

Use the weekday function, Sunday = 1

Ex: Where weekday(yourDate) = 1

Your entry in the criteria field would just be:

weekday(yourDate) = 1

or:

weekday(yourDate) = vbSunday

They both accomplish the same thing, but you'll remember what is happening better by using the second one. Access will create the proper SQL syntax for you.

You can't use vbSunday in the criteria of a query. Constants such as vbSunday are available only in code.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I guess I didn't express myself correctly. I have a table with a column called InputDate that contains many, many records. Through the use of a query, I want to filter to only get those dates that are Sundays. I have aprox. 10,000 records with many different dates. Can I do that through the use of a criteria selection. Needless to say, IU am not going to test for every day to see if it was a Sunday or not.

I apologize if I wasn't clear before.

Cosette

Can I do that through the use of a criteria selection. Needless to say, IU am not going to test for every day to see if it was a Sunday or not.

if you're not going to test to see if it was a sunday or not, how do you expect the query to return the records where the day is Sunday?

Here's the basic SQL you need:

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE Weekday(InputDate) = 1

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases: The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design

Lespaul,

Thank you for your reply. I now understand what I need to do. I have to create a query beforehand selecting the Sunday. I was trying to select sunday in the criteria field and I now see why it couldn't work.

What I meant was that with so many different dates, I couldn't test for every specfic date. Thanks for the code, I now undesrtand how to go about it.

Cosette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back