Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting "Envelopes and Labels" causes crash in Word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
US
As soon as "Envelopes and Labels" is selected from the Tools menu, Winword crashes with the typical "memory cannot be read" message.

The PC is running Windows 2000 SP3, with all critical and Office updates. This feature had been working fine for months, up to this point. Nothing on the PC or network printer has changed.

So far I've:

renamed the normal.dot

duplicated the problem under a different user profile (one with local admin rights).

Ran "winword /a", problem still occurs.

Tried the "detect and repair" feature in the Help menu

Tried the repair option from the Office setup.

Any other suggestions?

Hmm, I think I am on the right track. I switched the default printer to another one, (same printer model) and the error went away.
I then deleted and remapping to the original printer, in case it was just a corrupt driver install, but it didn't alleviate the problem. I'll have to pursue this from the printer side of things, rather than the Word side...

These are definite problems associated with a corrupt printer driver. Although the default printer and alternative printer are the same type, are you absolutely certain that they were installed using the same driver version from the same source disk?

Are other users that have the same default printer able to work OK with it?

Regards: tf1

Another user at this location is having the same problem, but other users equiped with NOTEBOOK PCs are not having this problem. I may need to rebuild the queue.

Wierd. I stoppped and restarted the spooler service on the server. Had the affected users retry this, not getting any crashes anymore.
Thanks for having a look, tf1. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back