Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting only the last record for each date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherJob

Programmer
Jun 13, 2007
US
I have some data that has multiple records per day, and each record has a timestamp. What I want to do is to select only the last entry for each date.

I've already got code to do that, using a code loop, but I feel sure there must be some SQL statement what will do the selection for me. Can anyone here give an example please?

How about...

Max(YourDateField) or
Max(YourTimeField) WHERE YourDateField = SomeValue

Randy

> How about...

Thanks, but those are just criteria expressions. What I am doing now is using a GROUP BY to separate my data by dates and then looping through, using MAX to choose the latest time within each date. But I feel sure there must be a way to reduce the whole mess to a SQL query that will return the full records, selecting only those that came last for each date.

It might help if you post the code you want to modify.

Randy

> . . .the code you want to modify.

I'm not looking to modify my code, I'm looking for a SQL statement to replace my code. But let me give an example that may help illustrate my original post. Suppose I have data like the following:

DateTime_Field Several Fields of other data . . .
1/1/1970 10 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
1/1/1970 1 PM aaa, bbb, ccc
1/2/1970 9 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
1/2/1970 11 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
1/2/1970 12 PM aaa, bbb, ccc
3/3/1982 6 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
3/4/1982 7 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
3/4/1982 1 PM aaa, bbb, ccc

What I'm looking for is a SQL query that will select only the last record from each date, so:

DateTime_Field Several Fields of other data . . .
1/1/1970 1 PM aaa, bbb, ccc
1/2/1970 12 PM aaa, bbb, ccc
3/3/1982 6 AM aaa, bbb, ccc
3/4/1982 1 PM aaa, bbb, ccc

It may be as easy as:

Code:
SELECT Several Fields of Other Data, Max(DateTime_Field)
FROM TableName
GROUP BY Several Fields of Other Data

it may be that you need to do something more like:
Code:
SELECT Several Fields of Other Data, LastDateTime
FROM tableName T
INNER JOIN (SELECT KeyField, Max(DateTime_Field) As LastDateTime FROM TableName GROUP BY KeyField) A ON T.KeyField = A.KeyField and T.DateTime_field = A.DateTime_field

HTH

Leslie

Have you met Hardy Heron?

Your example #2 is what I came up with, but unfortunately the "T.DateTime_field = A.DateTime_field" join is not supported in Jet SQL. Likewise, "T.DateTime_field = LastDateTime" is not supported. I think it has something to do with the fact that the "T.DateTime_field" is not part of the GROUP BY criteria.

SELECT [T].[Date],[T].[Time],[T].[Glucose]
FROM [tblGlucoseData] AS [T]
INNER JOIN (SELECT [A].[Date], MAX([A].[Time]) FROM [tblGlucoseData] GROUP BY [A].[Date]) AS [A]
ON ([T].[Date] = [A].[Date]) AND ([T].[Time] = [A].[Time]);

SELECT T.Date,T.Time,T.Glucose
FROM tblGlucoseData AS T
INNER JOIN (SELECT [Date], MAX([Time]) AS MaxTime FROM tblGlucoseData GROUP BY [Date]) AS A
ON T.Date = A.Date AND T.Time = A.MaxTime

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks, but that is the "likewise" that I mention as not being supported.

Do you really have TWO fields (Date and Time) to store a SINGLE DateTime value ?

Yes indeed, the medical software that produces the data file uses separate fields for date and time. And why not? Even if I combined them into a single field I would need to separate the date using the DateValue() function in order to GROUP BY date.

not being supported
Which version of access ?
Which REAL SQL code ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back