Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting Memo Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcollinsmoose

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2002
US
I'm new to CR and have made some progress today. YEAH!!! Quick question. I am creating a report in which I need to show some user comments group by particular person. I have my group set up.

Here are my questions:

* My data is in a MEMO field on a SQL Server. If I choose the SELECT EXPERT feature only columns of type numberic are showing - Is this normal? If not, is there something I can do to correct the problem. -- The reason I am trying to use the SELECT EXPERT is because I do not want to return blank rows. I could write a SQL statement to only return records that this field is not blank.

* If I can not use the SELECT EXPERT is there a way to use the field explorer feature --> put the field on the report and suppress the blank records?

If there is a better way to do it then I am willing to take suggestions as well.

Example of current data:

User Score Comments
Becky 5 Becky did a wonderful job
Becky 0
Becky 2 Needs improvement

Data I want to show on report:

Becky
Becky did a wonderful job
Needs Improvement

Go to the Record Selection formula and add "Not IsNull({MyTable.Comments})" -- selecting the Comments data field from the list of available field. That should select only records with Comments entries. You cannot use memo fields in formulas -- except for IsNull.

Then group by User.

That makes sense however how can I make it work if the comments fields do not show up in the Record Selection formula list. I believe they are not showing up because it is a memo field.

Any suggestions?

That makes sense however how can I make it work if the comments fields do not show up in the Record Selection formula list. I believe they are not showing up because it is a memo field. Any suggestions?', 'That makes sense however how can I make it work if the comments fields do not show up in the Record Selection formula list. I believe they are not showing up because it is a memo field.

Any suggestions?

CR won't show memo fields in the formula editors, but you can put another field into the formula and then edit the field name to be the memo.

However I am using CRv8.5 and it won't let me use IsNull(Memo) in the record selecction formula. It would allow this in the Group Selection formula only. That surprised me. I am curious if you get the same behavior.

You could also use IsNull (Memo) to suppress records that you don't want to see. However they will still be included in totals.
Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back