Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting DIV's via JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilky27

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
GB
Hello, i would like to select different DIV sections by selecting a radio button. So far I have got:

function toggle( targetId ){

ie4 = ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4 ));
if (ie4){
target = document.all( targetId );
if (target.style.display == "none"){
target.style.display = "";
} else {
target.style.display= "none";
}
}

}

Now on a click event this will display whats in the relevent DIV tags but it will display them one after the other instead of one at a time. I need a way of hiding the other DIV's whilst one is selected!

hope this makes sense.

Thanks..

Here's an example:

Code:
<script type=&quot;text/javascript&quot;>

function toggleDiv() {

var the_radios = document.getElementsByName( &quot;the_radios&quot; );

for( var i=0; i < the_radios.length; i++ ) {

var current_div = document.getElementById( the_radios[ i ].value );

if( the_radios[ i ].checked != true ) {

current_div.style.display = &quot;none&quot;;

} else {

current_div.style.display = &quot;block&quot;;
		}	
	}	
}

</script>

<form>
  <input value=&quot;divOne&quot; type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;the_radios&quot; onclick=&quot;toggleDiv();&quot; />
  <input value=&quot;divTwo&quot; type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;the_radios&quot; onclick=&quot;toggleDiv();&quot; />
  <input value=&quot;divThree&quot; type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;the_radios&quot; onclick=&quot;toggleDiv();&quot; />
  <input value=&quot;divFour&quot; type=&quot;radio&quot; name=&quot;the_radios&quot; onclick=&quot;toggleDiv();&quot; />
</form>

<div id=&quot;divOne&quot;>One</div>
<div id=&quot;divTwo&quot;>Two</div>
<div id=&quot;divThree&quot;>Three</div>
<div id=&quot;divFour&quot;>Four</div>

Instead of hard-coding
Code:
var the_radios = document.getElementsByName( &quot;the_radios&quot; );
into the function, you could just trap the target element (or srcElement) and access the name property. Bit cooler that way. ;)

HTH.

Oh, btw, document.all is global (not to mention an expensive resource) so, if you must write IE-only code just reference the element directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back