Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting distinct records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewB2007

Technical User
Feb 25, 2008
US
I have two tables to a mailing label report. One table I am pulling the Customer address info. The other table has a date that I am filtering by. I'm receiving multiple addresses. I know why... The "other" table has an ID attached to each record. What I need to do is be able to get the max ID for each client from the "other" table. I would like to be able to do the selection through crystal and not SQL if at all possible.

EX.

Customer Table
cust 1
add 1
city 1
state 1
zip 1

cust 2
add 2
city 2
state 2
zip 2

"Other Table"
id 1
cust 1
id 2
cust 1
id 3
cust 1

id 4
cust 2
id 5
cust 2
id 5
cust 2

I want the records
id 3
cust 1

and

id 5
cust 2

So I cannot simply do a select Max()...

Any ideas?

I have tried grouping on the report but the labels do not fill out correctly...

You could use subreports to go get the highest numbered ID.

Grouping should have worked. Group on the Customer number and put _everything_ on the group footer.

When I put everything on the group footer the labels don't fill out properly.

I want my labels to look like this

cust1 name cust2 name cust3 name
add 1 add 1 add 1
add 2 add 2 add 2
city st zip city st sip city st zip

Then they go for 10 rows. I have to have this to match the type of labels that I am using.

When I put everything in a group I get 1 column and then multiple rows.

You should be able to insert a group on a customer ID field (and suppress both the header and footer), and then format each detail section to suppress with this formula:

{table.customerID} = previous({table.customerID})

-LB

Figured it out before you posted but that is exactly what I did! Thanks anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back