Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting ALL persons in my combobox for query criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a form with a combobox that has employees' names in it. I am using the following in my query to select an individual and then run the report with the name as the criteria:

[Forms]![IndividualFundingReport]![EmployeeName]

(As a note: the input is an employee number, not the actual employee name)

This works fine but I would also like to have the ability to select "ALL" so that I can run a general report on all the employees together. How can I accomplish this?

Obviously your combobox doesn't have a control source (because of the way that you are using it) - so you can have it left blank. Here is your criteria:

Like IIf(IsNull([Forms]![IndividualFundingReport]![EmployeeName]),"*",[Forms]![IndividualFundingReport]![EmployeeName])

Rob Marriott
rob@career-connections.net

After trying this a few times, it turns out to NOT work. :(

Now, if I leave it blank, it will run an ALL report but it will no longer run an individual report. If I select an individual, it still runs an ALL report.

What gives?

You can do the following
1. Cange the combobox property - Limit to listed vales = False
2. in the query criterian use the 'Like' operator.
3. Type '*' in the combo box to print the report for all employees. U can even use a wield card combination to select a group of employees also.

add another field to your query, for the Name use

Exp1:[Forms]![IndividualFundingReport]![EmployeeName]

For the criteria [on a separate row ( Or: ) from the one you used for Employee Number]

Is Null

PaulF

Thanks for the response.

Malavia: I cannot set my Limit to List as No because the combobox is actually 2 columns - one with employee id# and the other has the employee name. The bound column is the employee id# but the only visible column is the employee name. You cannot set the Limit to List as no under these conditions.

Paul F: I'll give that a try.

Hi

A new Idea came to my mind. Since U'r facing problems with Null in Paul's case, instead of using IsNull try using NZ function.
NZ is a function using which U can assign a default value to your expression in case it evaluates to null. I hope this will solve the problem.

best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back