Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting a record

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddy17

Technical User
Jul 27, 2001
CA
hi there,
I have a problem which i think may sound like an easy solve, but then again who knows.
Anyway, I have a combo box which lists Products. The user can select one, and then the related information is displayed in the Tab Control subform beneath. The only problem is if the user clicks on the combo box to select another Product to view, but then changes his/her mind and reselects the same one that is already on the screen. If that happens i get an error message about "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit".
This is an issue which may surface with my users. They may choose to click on the combo box, and then decide that they want to remain with the same record. But for 'fear' of pulling up another record, they don't click anywhere else on the screen (which would be ok to do), instead they reselect the same Product in the combo box to ensure that they do not go to another record.
anyway, thanks ........... roddy

Hi Roddy,

Actually, I didn't clear exactly what you need, but i guess that there is wrong way in your Relationship window, could you please explain more so i can help you more.

Regards

Ok, I'll try again.
I have a form with a combo box on the top and one of those multi page Tab forms underneath the combo box. The user has the ability to choose a Product from the combo box. The rest of the information from the record of the Product shows up in the Tab form. That part works fine.
The issue is the following: The user may decide to select another product from the Product combo box. So they click on the combo box. But then they decide that they don't want to view another product after all. So in order to keep the same product information on the screen, they click on the same Product name in the combo box. And that is when the error message is generated - "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit".
They don't realize that if they click on the combo box, but decide that they don't want to view another record, that all they have to do is click on any other part of the screen to make the drop-down box go away and they can continue working with the same record information.
Hope that makes more sense.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back