Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selecting a Print Range based on Quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikatiemarie

Technical User
Feb 24, 2020
US
Hello,

I am doing a project for a friend of a friend's business which is a label report built in Crystal Reports xl. It has 4 labels built into the details section of the report. I am trying to put in a formula to count each label
Ex:
1 of 5,000
2 of 5,000
3 of 5,000

But also need a parameter that if a user selects a print range of 200 to 205 that is shows the below on each label
200 of 5,000
201 of 5,000
202 of 5,000
etc.

Is this possible? I haven't been given much access to their system and won't give me access to create a table to count rownums. Looking for some sort of work around. Help Please!!

Not sure how quantity fits into this, but to number the labels and show the number out of the total, you can do this:

Create two formulas:

//{@cnt} to be placed in the detail section and suppressed:
whileprintingrecords;
numbervar cnt := cnt + 1;
cnt

//{@display} to be placed in the detail section:
totext({@cnt},0)&" of "& totext(count({table.name}),0)

Create a range parameter {?LabelNos} allowing custom and multiple values, and then go into the section expert->detail (highest order level)->x+2 and enter:
{@cnt}<>{?LabelNo}

This will suppress all but the selected labels. The only limitation is that the label numbers are not linked to a field, so changes to report selection criteria or the to instances of the field or how you sort, will change which fields are numbered 1, 2, etc. However, the parameter selection in the suppression area will not affect the numbering.

-LB

Hello Lb,

Thank you for providing that. I think I should have been more clear. The 4 labels in the detail section are the same label repeated 4 times. (Can be removed to just one label in the details for simplicity purposes) They're labels used for the cartons. Each carton needs a label. A job may contain 52,000 envelopes but fit in 2,600 cartons. So I am looking for a print count of 1 of 2,600. If 2,600 labels are printed and they misplace labels 300-350 I would like to be able to select 300 to 350 in the parameter to be reprinted in the form of
300 of 2,600
301 of 2,600
Etc.

Did you try my suggestion? How did the results differ from what you would like to see?

-LB

I did, It prints correctly if I only put "1" in the parameter. It doesn't allow me to print pages X of X while starting the count at X. If I put more than "1" in the parameter, my results are blank and it prints nothing.

If you implemented my suggestion above, the only labels available for printing would be the ones you selected, so why would you be selecting again for printing? The X of X would appear correctly on the label—I just tested this. Am I missing something?

Are the X of X numbers appearing correctly on the label using my formulas above? If not, how did you force the repeat labels per detail section? What steps did you take?

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back