Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

selected text dissappears on keyboardentry indesign cs3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Nov 8, 2000
NL
I have a strange problem: i select a paragraph, and alter spacing to say -6. Selected text is then deleted and physically replaced by -6. If i select say -10 from dropdown menu it works fine. Just keyboard entries go wrong.
Other problem in search and replace i deleted old search text and suddenly the deleted text reappears and even more strange it replaces text in my document (without me pressing search, find or replace).
Ity happens in SOME documents not all. Adobe of course advised to trash prefs etc, but after that is still happens. I am very curious if anyone else had this experience (and knows a solution).
I checked suitcase fonts for damage, used drive genius to check disk, onyx to check... no results... And oh yeah i have a viruskiller (virusbarrier) on my mac.
I work with indesign cs3 mac os 10.4.11, 3,5 gb dramm on a 2 ghz power pc G5.

Thanx in advance

Peter

What's happening you select the text is that the Window for applying the -6 is not active, make sure you put your cursor in there and highlight the field first, then select -6.

For me, not all people, when I try to tab through the fields it returns to the doucment, so I have to physically put my mouse on the field before I type anything.

What's happening with your find and replace is that you are hitting the keyboard shortcut when typing, obviously inadvertently.

With find and replace there are keyboard shortcuts to load the find/change dialog box with what you have selected, also the find/change remembers what it has found and changed from the previous search until InDesign is restarted.

If you think that this is happening open the find/change dialog box and remove the data in the fields.

It might be wise to save a set of your own shortcuts so that you don't hit these keyboard combinations.

Thanx Eugene,

Your answer is well appreciated!

I have carefully checked and i did select the field before typing. Proof of that is that -6 is entered in the spacingfield as well as replacing the selected text. Same with the search and replace. Even if i open the dialog from the menu i cant delete old search. It is like a ghost typist who decides to re-enter the old text. And at the moment i deleted this old text (with backspace) it start replacing.

Yeah i know it sounds strange but that is whats happening.

Have you tried updating InDesign CS3. I know that there were some bugs, especially with Mac Platform, like missing keystrokes and things like that.

To rebuild the InDesign Preferences, have you tried this

Command-Option-Shift-Control immediately after starting InDesign up again

Thanx Eugene

No solution i am afraid. I drives me crazy! I t looks like some sort of automatic scrips is triggered. I just tried to search for space i and again i see search being highlighted. I will call adobe again...

thanx dear friend!

problem seems to be an extension copyflowgold. After unistalling it works fine!

Thanx for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back