Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Selected node value from MasterPage Repeater Menu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeZim

MIS
Sep 11, 2003
US
I have a Repeater on my MasterPage that acts like a menu, populated by a SiteMapDataSource.

I am trying to capture the selected value (or node) from this control and use this value in another page (content) to generate dynamic content.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks Mark, I was not sure about this option since the menu automatically sends you to the page via the SiteMap. Would I have to append the name of the page (or the node title) as a variable?

Also, which Repeater event would be used to accomplish this? I've played around with:

Code:
    Protected Sub menu_ItemCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.RepeaterCommandEventArgs) Handles menu.ItemCommand

End Sub

I can't seem to get this event to fire when one of the menu items is clicked.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. Why do you need to see a value from the previous page? Is it to track where the user came from?

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Users can get to a given search page:

1) Using the menu in the MasterPage
2) From a back button after they have done a search

If they use the back button, I need to preserve their search criteria (text box values), but if they navigate to this page using the MasterPage Menu, I want to clear any text that may be there.

I figured by capturing the menu selection, I could evaluate it as a session variable and determine how the user made it to the search page. I have several different search pages.

Thanks for the suggestion, I never knew about this option. It should accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Your site looks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back