Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select ... where ... Not in for 2 values

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrbodine

Programmer
Aug 24, 2000
US
Hi,

I have a query bringing back two values that are connected, but not directly in a lookup table. (There is a many to many relationship between one of the values and a value that's connected to the other one).

Is there a way to use a NOT IN clause for two values, or something that would have the same effect?

I.E. :

Select Customer, Seminar from .... (long from clause involving 4 tables) where Customer, Seminar NOT IN
(Select Customer, Seminar from ..... (lots of joins, 4 tables, brings back the ones I want to exclude)

I hope this makes sense; I have a query with all possible combinations, and I have a subquery with the values I want to exclude, but there's no ID that directly applies to these values, they're each unique by the customer and seminar values together.

Thanks for any advice,
Ray

You may use LEFT JOIN.

Select Customer, Seminar from .... (long from clause involving 4 tables)
LEFT JOIN
(Select Customer, Seminar from ..... (lots of joins, 4 tables, brings back the ones I want to exclude) AS RESULT1
ON TABLEA.CUSTOMER = RESULT1.CUSTOMER AND TABLEA.SEMINAR = RESULT1.SEMINAR
/* NOTE: BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW YOUR TABALES' NAME, I JUST CALL IT TABLEA */
WHERE RESULT1.CUSTOMER IS NULL

What about concatenating customer and seminar in the first query? I didn't try it but it seems like it should work.

Select (Customer + Seminar) as custSem from .... 4 tables)

AND custSem NOT IN
(Select (Customer + Seminar) as custSem from ..... 4 tables)

Thanks so much for the ideas; I ended up doing something similar to cmmrfrds solution here, and having 2 queries that I called from another query and used the "NOT IN" clause. I joined the 2 fields together in the queries....

Thanks again,
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back