Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

select query help

Status
Not open for further replies.

plork123

Programmer
Mar 8, 2004
GB

Hi all

I'm trying to do a simple select in postgresql, something like this

if not exists (select 1 from table where a = 'blah')
begin
insert into table values ('a','b','c')

What i'm trying to do is to see whether a value already exists in a table, if it doens't i want to insert the value

But when i do this in query analyser if gives me an error on the if

Can anyone help me with this

Thanks

If you're using a language that allows you to handle the error you could just do the insert. If you get a duplicat key error you could handle it in whatever way is appropriate for tha application.

We usually do a select first (with the new key) and then check the number of fields returned. If 0, then we do the insert.

Frank

you have to write it as a function with plpgsql language for example

but the thing you tried is in a wrong direction, because if two oparations appear at the same time, they both will put that data

better, do it with unique constraint, and just insert the constraint will forbid two duplicate rows

the other way is with some kind of locking of the row with SELECT ... FOR UPDATE for example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back