Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

select query for only prior month records 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmc1975

MIS
Oct 23, 2001
US
hi, how do I set my query criteria in a date field to select only records for prior month data? for example: it is november 5th today, and I want only records from oct.01 through oct. 31st?

thanks in advance,
norman

Here is one way to do search for last month's records.

Select * from tableA
Where Year(DateColumn)=Year(date)
And Month(dateColumn)=Month(date)-1 Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

I attempted this and received errors. I continued my search (As I needed the same question answered) and was able to compose this which worked for me. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I'm new to SQL, and I need things spelled out for me.

SELECT *
FROM tableA
WHERE Year(DateColumn) = Year(Date())
And Month(DateColumn) = Month(date())-1

it's that extra set of () that I was missing to have my SQL run properly.

The parenteheses after Date are necessary because it is a function. Sorry I left them off my post. Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

this is great! thanks for your help tlbroadbent and Yosemite Sam.

norman

I just found out that this has problems with the increment of a new year. Since it is Jan 2002 it will go back 3 months, but it cannot go back to Oct Nov Dec of 2001. Any ideas on how to adjust this to take into consideration the changes of the year?
Thank you.

you could try something like:

WHERE format(DateColumn, &quot;yyyy mm&quot;) < &quot;2002 01&quot; AND format(DateColumn, &quot;yyyy mm&quot;) >= &quot;2001 10&quot;

This should return any date from 1th of october to 31th of december 2001.

PS: I used it alot, but always in a HAVING clause, and i'm running linux at the moment, so I wasn't able to test it. But i'm pretty sure it works for a WHERE clause too.

regards
Johpje

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back