Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Select different values from the same field dividing them in groups 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphy123

Technical User
Feb 18, 2006
US
Hello,
I am having a problem trying to figure out a way to get a query result that breaks up one field into 4 different Amount groups. I had the same question last week, and I believe I didn't post it in the right forum. I am sorry. It was 703-1388918.

I am pulling the data from tblAjustments.

The fields that I am working with are:
AuditorID, AuditDate, Amount, PosterID, PostingDate

I need to know the count of:

Amount = or over -($50.00)
Amount Between -($15) and -($49.99)
Amount = -($3.99), -($4.99) and -($10.99)
Amount > 0

Then find out the amount of adjustments posted within the amounts above to see the percentage that has been audited for a specific time frame.

I tried to create 4 separate queries to give me the count of how many adjustments were audited, then combine them by
4 separate queries that shows the count of adjustments posted by the amounts above. I had almost 16 queries to accomplish one desired result.

I am a Access 2000 user. I was hoping I could use SQL join queries to get the results I am looking for.

Can I create one SQL statement using subqueries to allocate each amount to get the final result?

Any help is appreciated. I've been working on this for almost five days now.

Thanks

can you also provide some sample data and expected results?

thanks,
Leslie

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do. Do the fields other than Amount matter? If not, try:

Code:
SELECT Sum(Iif([Amount]<=-50,1,0)) AS Cat1, 
    Sum(Iif([Amount]>-50 AND [Amount]<-15,1,0)) AS Cat2, 
    Sum (Iif([Amount] IN (-3.99, -4.99, -10.99),1,0)) AS Cat 3, 
    Sum(Iif([Amount]>0,1,0)) AS Cat 4 
FROM tblAdjustments;

If I am misunderstanding what you are asking for, please post back with an example of what you are trying to do.

-V

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I have a sample of the data ready to be posted. But after I read VRoscioli's reply, it looks like it is exactly what I am looking for.

I am going to test it, and if I have any problems I'll get back to you and post my data sample.

Again,

Thanks, Leslie, lespaul, Remou and VRoscioli.

The code VRoscioli provided was right on the money. Thanks everyone.

For total adjustments audited:
qryAdjAuditedByCat

SELECT Sum(IIf([Amount]<=-50,1,0)) AS AuditCat1,
Sum(IIf([Amount]>-50 And [Amount]<-15,1,0)) AS AuditCat2,
Sum(IIf([Amount] In (-3.99,-4.99,-10.99),1,0)) AS AuditCat3,
Sum(IIf([Amount]>0,1,0)) AS AuditCat4
FROM tblAdjustments

WHERE ((tblAdjustments.AuditorID) Is Not Null)
AND ((tblAdjustments.PostingDate)
Between [ENTER START DATE] And [ENTER END DATE]);

One more question...

Based on the results from the statement above, I need to find out the percentage of of audited adjustments for each category. I created another query that is based on the same code but including all adjustments that were posted, regardless if they were audited or not. I need my user to click a button on a form and get the percentage results.

For total adjustment posted:
qryAdjPostedByCat

SELECT Sum(IIf([Amount]<=-50,1,0)) AS PostCat1,
Sum(IIf([Amount]>-50 And [Amount]<-15,1,0)) AS PostCat2,
Sum(IIf([Amount] In (-3.99,-4.99,-10.99),1,0)) AS PostCat3,
Sum(IIf([Amount]>0,1,0)) AS PostCat4
FROM tblAdjustments

WHERE ((tblAdjustments.PostingDate) Is Not Null)
AND ((tblAdjustments.PostingDate)
Between [ENTER START DATE] And [ENTER END DATE]);

I was thinking about linking these two queries to get a percentage on a report. I tried to link it by date. But I can't do it because I am missing a SELECT somewhere on the code and I can't figure out where.

Or is there a way to get the percentage of all adjustments audited in one single query?

Ex: AuditCat1/PostCat1 = my percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back