Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seizing FSMO roles from SBS 2000 server to Win 2003 R2 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleym

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
I have an SBS 2000 domain, and I want to move the domain to a windows 2003 R2 server. I plan to:

Join the R2 server to the domain. Extend the schema on the SBS 2000 server, make the R2 server a BDC. At this point I will try to move the FSMO roles to the R2 server, but I doubt it will let me. At this point I will shut down the SBS 2000 server and seize the FSMO roles on the R2 server. Do you think it will work? There is no exchnage installed on either server, although I will be putting exchange 2003 on the R2 server.

AM

No I have not, but I guess I better since I plan to do it for a customer in about three weeks. Worst case scenario for me is I have to create a new domain, rejoing all the machines to it, not a big deal, but something I would rather avoid if I can.

AM

I don't think seizing the roles will work since SBS is meant to be the only DC with all the FSMO roles, I am sure MS has resticted the ability to move them to another DC. Of course we know MS has the software pack to remove all the restrictions SBS imposes on an SBS server, but I'll have to try it in a test environment and see, unless someone already has my answer.

AM

When you shut down the SBS server and sieze the roles, you don't plan on turning the server back on do you? If you are planning to keep it shut down and you seize the roles, I think it should be OK... I guess we'll wait and see. You don't want to bring the SBS server back online after it's roles have been seized, MS are very clear about that (with 2000/2003 DCs anyway).

No of course not, once the SBS 2000 server is shut down, thats it, its unplugged from the network and could be brought back up offline, but certainly not connected to the network. I'll have to try it and see, and let you know.

AM

I'm with Ben. As long as the SBS box will be removed for good, you should be ok. Make sure you make the new box a GC, and make sure you allow enough time for everything to to sync. Same for DNS and any other services.

Try transferring the FSMO roles before going the seizing route. You can't have multiple SBS boxes in the same domain. But, when you try, it won't shut down the first one for an hour - so you might have some time when you transfer the FSMO roles.

You could also investigate a transition pack, which allows you to remove the limitations put in place by SBS.

You can also look at the Swing Migration kit, which deals with moving an SBS domain to a new server. IIRC, it involves a middle step where the domain is moved to a non-SBS box first. That information might help.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Thanks Pat, I've actually done a swing before using the kit, however in this case the client requires terminal services which is why going to SBS 2003 is not an option. Thanks for your thoughts, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

AM

Why not use SBS and just toss a small box next to it for TS? That way, you get all the SBS options, and TS. Just a thought.

No physical space for two boxes, I want them to be using terminal services on the server in which their custom app runs. Those are the main two reasons, but I had given it a great deal of consideration.

Thanks

AM

Keep in mind that the reason you can't use TS on SBS is because it's not recommended that TS reside on a DC for security reasons. If you're going to use a single box as DC & TS, you're not addressing that security concern.

I know that, but I don't have much of a choice. There will be no TS access from outside the network, only internal. I thought MS removed TS from SBS and replaced it with RWW, I didn't know it was for security reasons.

AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back